Going back to Folding?

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
I killed Miss Piggy, a SR-2 dual Xeon hotrod computer 2 years ago. I finally pulled it out of storage and fired it up.

What should I be doing with it?

Seems things changed a lot. Where would it be put to the best use?

36643a62cd3c5fdae042ae3ee0244082
sigimage.php
sigimage.php
sigimage.php

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1287819 = temp sensor for 8300/8400?
http://www.techreaction.net/2010/09/07/3-step-overclocking-guide-bloomfield-and-gulftown/4/

Poltergeist

Ghost in the Machine
Aug 1, 2006
Ontario, Calif.
www.poltergeist.us
I still fold on weekends. I'm running the 7.1.52 client. Not sure if there is a newer one or not. I'm doing 4 GPU folding. But I thought I remembered them saying that 7.1.52 would do both CPU and GPU, seems like there were settings for that when I loaded it a while back.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
I still fold on weekends. I'm running the 7.1.52 client. Not sure if there is a newer one or not. I'm doing 4 GPU folding. But I thought I remembered them saying that 7.1.52 would do both CPU and GPU, seems like there were settings for that when I loaded it a while back.

Thanks!

I'll see if I can get fired up.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Sorry guys.

I went to run it on my desktop at work, that had folded hundreds of WO's flawlessly, and within 10 minutes it crashed so hard I could not get it boot even under Safe Mode.

Don't know what fried yet, but it was a hardware. That machine is REALLY stable. It hasn't Blue Screened in 2 years, and runs 24/7/365. XP with AMD 6-core and GTX460.

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
not really understanding here, what is folding?

It is basically a program that splits gigantic computer problems in parts so that a large number of normal/home computers can solve in pieces instead of multiple super computers would have trouble doing.

In this instance, it is used to analayze proteins and diseases to hopefully find a cure.

On another note, Pat I believe I have the same or maybe mine is an GTX480, that I only used for a couple months until my mobo took a shit that I'd let go cheap:thumb:

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
OK, I found my Big Boy pants ... :D

It fried the video card because there was too much dirt in it, hidden under the cover.

Got it up and running.

Now to Miss Piggy. Miss Piggy is now the "minimum" big rig for the big jobs. So I'll start it out slow. Minimum is now 16 cores of CPU x 2.0ghz.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
It is basically a program that splits gigantic computer problems in parts so that a large number of normal/home computers can solve in pieces instead of multiple super computers would have trouble doing.

In this instance, it is used to analayze proteins and diseases to hopefully find a cure.

On another note, Pat I believe I have the same or maybe mine is an GTX480, that I only used for a couple months until my mobo took a shit that I'd let go cheap:thumb:

PM me a price. I'll put it to work. I'm going to find old mobo's that have been retired, put a stick of ram in them, an old HDD, a tearout powersupply, then have them drive video cards. No case. Once I get them running, I discard the keyboard and mouse.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
not really understanding here, what is folding?

Go to folding.stanford.org

Read up on it.

Stanford University is trying to cure diseases by analysing how proteins work.

It takes MASSIVE amounts of computer time. So they enlist the help of people all over the world to use their computers to make a SuperComputer via the internet.

You can use your computer while it's "folding" (proteins function by changing shape).

It's all for charity and science.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Note: You DON'T have to have a "hotrod" computer. But if you have a Gaming machine, they rock at folding proteins.

If you go off the deep end, you end up hotrodding some serious hardware.

One of mine is called Miss Piggy. It runs dual 6-core Xeons at 3.9ghz with 12gb of 2133mhz DDR3 ram. It is overkill for any normal application or games. If it was around in 1990, it would in the top 10 of supercomputers on earth. Things change. Now it's almost obsolete for the biggest jobs. When I was folding with it before, it was one of the fastest machines, 150k plus PPD.

carter_44

May 11, 2010
AZ
I have no idea wtf you guys are talking about. I own a computer...I can operate it somewhat proficiently...but have no idea how it actually works...and I am quite happy not knowing how it actually works. :thumb:

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
OK, this is what I got running:

A notebook i7 Quad folding SMP only.
A desktop with a AMD 1100 at 3.7ghz.
A dual AMD Opteron 4-core on SMP only Linux.
A server Xeon 2x E5620 on SMP only.
Miss Piggy dual Xeon X5650 on SMP only.

All four of my GPU cards crashed, so I took them offline. I need to rethink that.

I also need to build a new BigAdv machine. Miss Piggy will be going BigAdv after it does 20 or so SMP jobs, then overclock it, test SMP, then if AOK, go BigAdv again with it.

Once I get those stable, I'll add machines.

I'm not making good PPD yet. Username for all machines is new, McSwain.

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
I'm back to folding as well.

Need to get a normal power supply for my I7 system I was building for the truck......then it will really be on.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Trying to come up with a cheap solution to fold BigAdv jobs.

There are lots of 4 year old Opteron servers on the market cheap.

I've gotten one of them to go pretty fast with few dollars.

It has 4 Opteron 8386 quad core chips, 16gb of ram, and is running Linux. It was producing >50,000 points a day, but wasn't quite fast enough. Need 5% more horsepower.