GM Rebend Frame vs. Replace

randytheking

Aug 9, 2009
I was T-boned in my brand new 2022 GMC Sierra 3500 on the front left tire.

The frame is bent, and the insurance company wants to bend the frame back into shape.
I know bending will weaken the frame (I'm an engineer), so I'm trying to find an official document from General Motors that states something to that effect.

Does anyone know where I can find something like that?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
i think it will be a needle in the hay stack type search. if there is, it wont be on the 2020+ frames and it wont be much for you to stand on.

660catman

May 18, 2021
So what’s the dollar value on the repairs and the trucks current value? A ladder frame used in older cars and all trucks are easier to fix than unibody vehicles. Your frame may be bent but it probably is only tweaked a bit. Full assessment can only be done with tear down to see. A good frame shop will hang guages. These will see how much the frame has twisted and how much of a bow is in it. Unless there’s severe bends creating stress areas from a full frontal collision, they can be fixed easily. For the insurance company to fix this, it can’t be that bad. It hurts more knowing that your new truck has been in a major collision.

2013 Sierra SLE 2500HD Crew Cab

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
How badly was it bent? In which way? Photos?

All bending doesn't necessarily weaken a frame. Depends on how much and were. Where there any creases or wrinkles on the inside of the bend?

Also, the front isn't really the most stressed area of the frame. So depending on the degree of damage weakening may not be an issue. We need more information.

Also, never heard of GM stating frames can't be straitened. Only when making alterations and welding there are special guidelines

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
When a Vehicle is T-boned and depending where it was hit, It typically make's a Banana out of it.

Full frames will always be repaired up in till the cost of a replacement frame or if the damage is so sever it can not be repaired.

With out pictures of the damage it's hard to speculate.

You can fight the insurance company on the fact that the vehicle will loose a portion of it's value that you can not recover if you decide to sell it after the repair.