Glow Plug Deletion Question

CamaroDMax

Jun 10, 2019
Hi Guys,

For the guys that have removed their glow plugs, what's the lowest ambient temperature that you have started your truck without any issues? I understand it will take more cranking amps to turn over a cold engine, just wondering if there's a certain temperature that these engines hate. I'm in Colorado, I won't be driving the car if's its less then 50 degrees F outside.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
You will be fine on stock/smaller injectors

I’ve ran glow plug deletes for the last 4 years. Started it in 15* outside temps a few times after sitting all night without issue. Coughed and spit for about 30 sec but cleaned up after.

If you run large injectors (200% or more), it will take some tune work to get a nice start up

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
I've had my old one start at 10 degrees out. Something to consider is many lb7s on the road today have burnt out glow plugs but they dont know it. Common rails are pretty forgiving.

CamaroDMax

Jun 10, 2019
Thanks for the info guys. That’s what I was hoping to hear. One of the glow plugs on this salvage engine looks damaged. The threaded stud is slightly bent. I will pull these glow plugs and put blanks in.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
My former LB7 started at 14* sitting out all night with the glowplug module disconnected and with relatively weak batteries. Started up fine even with the slow cranking.

Very little smoke and stock injectors

CamaroDMax

Jun 10, 2019
My former LB7 started at 14* sitting out all night with the glowplug module disconnected and with relatively weak batteries. Started up fine even with the slow cranking.

Very little smoke and stock injectors

That's good to hear. I shouldn't have any issues with deleting the glow plugs. :woott: