Getting truck smogged problem

Pure Diesel

Apr 22, 2008
Ventura County
I had Russ transplant a 2006 LLY in July of 2013. The truck has been great the whole time. The tuning is from ATP since the transplant and currently. I've kept it on tune #2 probably 80% of the time and when I go get it smogged I switch to tune #1. This has been the same procedure for the last two smog tests. I go to the same guy on Friday, as I have gone to in the past, and he couldn't smog it. Everything passes the visual but this time the computer couldn't. It read "Invalid data was received from the vehicle". If you wish to retry communication, cycle the vehicle's engine off and then restart the vehicle. He tried this three times and still couldn't get to work. He scans the barcode on the DMV paper and the trucks vin in the dash. Could this be the problem even though its worked in the past? Is it possible the system is picking up the EFI and not recognizing it for the stock programming?
Needs some help here.
Thanks

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
I can't speak to the Cali emissions test equipment, but that communications error is common with llys using any diagnostic equipment. Sometimes can be caused by data bus noise, sometimes could be a blown 12v ACC fuse, they are finicky beasts. Just for the heck of it, try removing the radio fuse and amp fuse before trying next time. Also, I'd try to communicate with the ecm with EFI Live if you have it, beforehand to test it.

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
I had Russ transplant a 2006 LLY in July of 2013. The truck has been great the whole time. The tuning is from ATP since the transplant and currently. I've kept it on tune #2 probably 80% of the time and when I go get it smogged I switch to tune #1. This has been the same procedure for the last two smog tests. I go to the same guy on Friday, as I have gone to in the past, and he couldn't smog it. Everything passes the visual but this time the computer couldn't. It read "Invalid data was received from the vehicle". If you wish to retry communication, cycle the vehicle's engine off and then restart the vehicle. He tried this three times and still couldn't get to work. He scans the barcode on the DMV paper and the trucks vin in the dash. Could this be the problem even though its worked in the past? Is it possible the system is picking up the EFI and not recognizing it for the stock programming?
Needs some help here.
Thanks

The new smog equipment (smog dad I think it’s called) reads the engine calibration and if it isn’t correct will do what yours is doing. Try putting in a single tune with the correct engine calibration, the DSP5 tune changes the last digit of the engine calibration.

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
I can't speak to the Cali emissions test equipment, but that communications error is common with llys using any diagnostic equipment. Sometimes can be caused by data bus noise, sometimes could be a blown 12v ACC fuse, they are finicky beasts. Just for the heck of it, try removing the radio fuse and amp fuse before trying next time. Also, I'd try to communicate with the ecm with EFI Live if you have it, beforehand to test it.

I’m having this problem with an 04.5 LLY. Stock tune. I can read/flash the ecm. Dealer can’t flash in a stock tune and the smog equipment won’t comunicate with the truck. Everything works as it should on the truck, been pulling my hair out over it :baby:

Pure Diesel

Apr 22, 2008
Ventura County

The only thing that has changed since the last smog, is I think the BCM is not working correctly. The key fob only works to lock the truck. The lights, horn don't acknowledge when locking. Then suddenly it will work for 3-4 times.

I don't have EFI personally. I'm 20-minutes from Guy at Socal Diesel so that may be an option.

I'll look today for any blown fuses and I know the grounds are good.
Thanks

Pure Diesel

Apr 22, 2008
Ventura County
The new smog equipment (smog dad I think it’s called) reads the engine calibration and if it isn’t correct will do what yours is doing. Try putting in a single tune with the correct engine calibration, the DSP5 tune changes the last digit of the engine calibration.

This is the only problem. Russ has the original OS. I have a call into him already. I'll have to have him send it to Guy and then they can re-flash it for me.

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
But changing to the stock OS as you mentioned above doesn't work for you either?

The truck must have communication issues that I’m trying to figure out. But if I can flash it why can’t gm :confused: I hate electronics

But I know for sure if it’s a dsp5 it won’t pass.

gassux

Mar 14, 2010
it's your cigarette lighter shorting out. i have an LBZ and i was getting the same message from my obd2 bluetooth. God i can't wait to get this shit in ny

Pure Diesel

Apr 22, 2008
Ventura County
But I know for sure if it’s a dsp5 it won’t pass.

So do I definitely have to take out the DSP5 and put the stock OS in to pass due to the states new software recognizing it?

Both of my cigarette lighters are working because one has my sat radio plugged in and the other has my USB plugged in.

I have a Harbor freight Cen-tech 60794 OBD II & CAN scan tool that reads quite a few PIDs and it shows no codes right now. Need to get this thing smogged by the end of the month so any help is appreciated.
Thanks

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
So do I definitely have to take out the DSP5 and put the stock OS in to pass due to the states new software recognizing it?

Both of my cigarette lighters are working because one has my sat radio plugged in and the other has my USB plugged in.

I have a Harbor freight Cen-tech 60794 OBD II & CAN scan tool that reads quite a few PIDs and it shows no codes right now. Need to get this thing smogged by the end of the month so any help is appreciated.
Thanks

It doesn’t have to be a stock tune but a stock calibration is needed.

Pure Diesel

Apr 22, 2008
Ventura County
It doesn’t have to be a stock tune but a stock calibration is needed.

Bear with me please but what's the difference? Is it just that simply as into swapping out the DSP5?

I can read the VIN# off this engine(through the code reader) and get a history of where this engine came from(through the internet). Is having the engine VIN and the vehicle VIN different causing a problem also?

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
There software looks at the operating system and all the system segment numbers. These get changed with tuning, if they don't match up to stock, you will fail. That's all there is to it. You must have a stock GM operating system number before there machine will pass you.

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
Bear with me please but what's the difference? Is it just that simply as into swapping out the DSP5?

I can read the VIN# off this engine(through the code reader) and get a history of where this engine came from(through the internet). Is having the engine VIN and the vehicle VIN different causing a problem also?

The the tune has the operating system which that has to be correct or you’ll have issues.
The calibration for the engine I believe.

You can make changes to the correct tune and the smog equipment won’t know. But switching the tune to a DSP changes the last digit of the calibration to a 5 and that’s what the smog monitor picks up on.

You can change the vin in the tune to be correct but I don’t believe the smog equipment checks that.

Pure Diesel

Apr 22, 2008
Ventura County
Thank you both for your responses.

Last question, I hope. So will any OS, for an 06LLY, work or do I have to have the one that came with it? If it has to be the original, I'll have to wait to hear from Russ then.
Thanks

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
Thank you both for your responses.

Last question, I hope. So will any OS, for an 06LLY, work or do I have to have the one that came with it? If it has to be the original, I'll have to wait to hear from Russ then.
Thanks

Can you see what the OS is in the tune that’s in it? Then just pull one off of here that matches.