LB7: Gauges electric or mechancal

77cruiser

Apr 7, 2011
Frost Bite Falls
Looking to get a boost & EGT gauges. Are the electric ones reasonably accurate?
How high of temp should I be looking at for my EGT gauge?
Looking in Summit what would be your favorite brand?

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
The standard thermocouples top out at 1832F usually.
Sustained EGT's over 1350 will hurt your turbo.

Best systems are digital, as they can record high readings. Mechanical boost gauges are OK, but given the choice, electronic is better.

I've had good luck with ISSAPRO(?).

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
PS - Your intended use is very important when making a decision.

For racing, you should have a boost gauge that goes to 75PSI for future expansion, and an EGT gauge that can read 2000F min. Recording is important since there isn't a lot of time to look at gauges other than the tach.

For street use and towing, recording isn't that important, and you should never see past 1600F.

BlkMax

Sep 1, 2008
Wasilla, AK
What I did was go with Aeroforce dual gauges: http://www.aeroforcetech.com/products_interceptor.html These have EGT's to 2000*F, and you can get pressure transmitters that go to 100 psi.

Aeroforce are round gauges with 2 digital displays per gauge. You can get a single or dual gauges. I think they made a custom triple gauge setup for someone here, but I read that.....

Aeroforce gauges plug into the ODB2 port and will display a lot of stuff that the ECU is monitoring, but you can never see for example rail pressure desired and actual. The EGT and pressure transmitters are analog inputs to the Aeroforce. I made a 2 wire pigtail so when I log with EFI, I plug my EGT and pressure transmitters into the analog inputs on the V2. I am currently looking at some Isspro stuff so I an log other parameters outside of what is available from the PID's or my current analog outputs.

The down side with Aeroforce is that if you are logging with EFI, you do not have the Aeroforce gauges. It is usually not a big deal, because you can setup the display gauges on EFI to look at what you want.

If you go with the Isspro Promax system (which is what I am looking at), it becomes a bit of a headache if you are trying to line up the data logged with the V2, and the data that comes back from the Promax.

Non of these systems are cheap, but the price goes down a little when you think about buying multiple gauges.

77cruiser

Apr 7, 2011
Frost Bite Falls
No racing, just driving & towing. I was looking at Autometer, VDO & some others like that. Just wanted to do a 2 gauge pod on the pillar. But I guess if I could do one digital that would be nice too.