Garrett powermax turbos

Diesel_guy86

Jan 5, 2016
Republic, Ohio
Has anyone used one? According to all the online sellers there ball bearing which i love. Just wondering what others experiences/ thoughts are on these.

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
Like Mark said, I'm not sure where you saw them advertised as ball bearing.

And also, people have been running these chargers for years. In stock form, there really isn't anything that great or special about them. Mark does build some awesome chargers off of this platform though.

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
Well, that is false advertising at it's finest! If you look on Garrett's site it says "All Fixed geometry turbos use the Dual Ball bearings" AVNT/VVT turbos are not fixed so they are not ball bearings. I know more than most on these turbos since I build on average about 40-60 a month. When they become available in a ball bearing unit I will definitely let everyone know about it!:thumb:

Diesel_guy86

Jan 5, 2016
Republic, Ohio
Are the powermax's different than the factory ones? You build 40-60 a month (thats alot) but are any of those the "powermax" turbos? Im in no way questioning your knowledge mark, it just boggles me that garrett would advertise a bb turbo when/if it really isnt. Garrett does make a ball bearing vnt turbo, the gtb2260vklr used in the mercedes diesels i think.

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
Are the powermax's different than the factory ones? You build 40-60 a month (thats alot) but are any of those the "powermax" turbos? Im in no way questioning your knowledge mark, it just boggles me that garrett would advertise a bb turbo when/if it really isnt. Garrett does make a ball bearing vnt turbo, the gtb2260vklr used in the mercedes diesels i think.

Yes, I am buying the powermax turbo's by the skid to build mine out of because I am a Powermax dealer. I do this because I can offer the customer a brand new turbo that performs great and no worries about an old cart giving you issues because it was re-manufactured like all of my competitors offer. The details are what are important and what you are actually getting for your money. Yes they are different than a stock turbo because they have a better cover and backplate. You need to go back and read that a little closer because Garrett does not advertise Ball Bearing AVNT turbos for our trucks, they are advertising that their fixed geometry powermax turbos use the ball bearing carts. Throroughbred Diesel is the one with the false advertising on this matter.

Diesel_guy86

Jan 5, 2016
Republic, Ohio
Already working on it, thats why i was suprised when i saw the powermaxs advertised as bb cause i always thought they were journal. Im planning on adding watercooling and using cageless angular contact ceramic bearings. Similar to how garrett does it but much better quality bearings.