Fuel tank mod for more fuel

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I have 2 steel L tanks and a few square tanks, but your a little far James :roflmao:

:roflmao: just a tad, plus im a picky bastard here. i want the tank no wider or taller than my current in bed tool box (below the rails). The tanks that have a little room on top with a locking lid for straps and crap were what i was really looking at cause i really dont use my tool box much anymore other than to hold spare parts and straps. 2-3k for new ones seems retarded to me.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
The steel L bed tanks are around $450 at the local ag supply places here. Get one of those, buy a pump and nozzle, and you have a cheap setup that can also fill other equipment. That's what I have in the back of my truck.

You do have to be careful about used steel tanks, as they can rust. If they are empty, pop the fill cap off and look around with a flashlight, or better yet a borescope. But if they have been taken care of properly (mostly stored full), you can find them without rust.

I've never had my main tank expand and leak after topping off, but like most, I fill it up then drive home. The bed tank, on the other hand, will absolutely leak a ton if you don't leave some head space.