Question: Fuel cell mounts?

SgtKilroy

'Merica!
Sep 30, 2009
SoCal
Ok guys. I got my fuel cell but I need some advice on mounting it. It's a 36 gallon aluminum tank. The fittings for drawing the fuel are on the lower left edge and the bottom is angled which makes trying to mount it kinda tough. Anyone got pictures of how they mounted theirs? It's going where the spare tire cross member used to be.
newtank.jpg

SgtKilroy

'Merica!
Sep 30, 2009
SoCal
Yes sir it is. Wanted more fuel capacity (it's a 36 gal) and I want to try and balance the truck better. Kinda kills two birds with one stone. Plus I got it for MUCH cheaper than the usual aftermarket options.
Haha Jason I'm fairly certain my wife would shoot me. :hug:

leehype

Drunk with a Jeep problem
Aug 16, 2012
I don't have any experience with fuel cells on these trucks, but from my experience in general, mount it in the most secure fashion you can do. Relocate the pick up's if needed. There are some fittings we use in the rock crawling, you run 2 pick ups, one at ether corner. There are these pickup's that can not draw air, so on hills and climbs, when one pick up comes out of fuel, it locks and you still get great fuel pressure and flow. I forgot where I ordered mine from, but they were less than $10 each. If accessing the cell is difficult, you can open the access on top with several different kits. Better to set up the cell for your mounting than to set up your truck for the cell.

I must add that a baffle system is highly recomended. Fuel cells look great, but the fuel slosh on the inside has greater force than most people reliese.
Example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZhbdz2byYg

If you watch, you can see the cell rupture when the fuel slosh hits that corner that fails. That was the second cell that ruptured that weekend, and in the same place. That is the same cell I ordered for my Jeep. I know 3 more people that run the same cell with no issues, 2 run foam inside for baffling, and the 3rd has angle iron reinforcing all the edges.

I hope this is useful.

SgtKilroy

'Merica!
Sep 30, 2009
SoCal
I have a couple things I need to do to it, but no access to a TIG. :(
The tank is definitely baffled and there are two pick ups but they're right next to each other on one side. I'm not incredibly worried about that though as I'm not rock crawling with the truck. This sucker is way too heavy for that. haha I honestly think my biggest worry right now is what to use for new crossmembers in front and behind the tank to replace the one that's getting pulled out. I figure I can put a mounting tab on all 4 corners with a poly bushing on every bolt to absorb any vibration or flex of the frame. I was just hoping to get some pictures of what others have done.

leehype

Drunk with a Jeep problem
Aug 16, 2012
I have a couple things I need to do to it, but no access to a TIG. :(
The tank is definitely baffled and there are two pick ups but they're right next to each other on one side. I'm not incredibly worried about that though as I'm not rock crawling with the truck. This sucker is way too heavy for that. haha I honestly think my biggest worry right now is what to use for new crossmembers in front and behind the tank to replace the one that's getting pulled out. I figure I can put a mounting tab on all 4 corners with a poly bushing on every bolt to absorb any vibration or flex of the frame. I was just hoping to get some pictures of what others have done.

The kit's I'm talking about simply add an access panel that bolts into place. It comes with a tank lid, seal, and bolts. Simple hand tools are used to install it. It also adds more function as you can add fuel pick ups, senders, pumps, or what ever else you might need. My mention of rock crawling was simply for the fuel slosh issue. Once again, see the vid, the point where the tank breaks is not from a hard landing or a shock, it is from the fuel bashing against the side of the fuel cell.

Also, and I just thought of this, could you check to see if there is a company that makes a mount for that cell? Something that is an enclosure? Might be worth looking into.

SgtKilroy

'Merica!
Sep 30, 2009
SoCal
Well it was a one-off tank, so no pre made anything for it. You're talking about cutting a big hole in the top of the tank then adding a sealed door just to access the inside of the tank? It's already tapped for two pick ups, and I have a 2" (not a 1 7/8 like I originally thought) hole already cut for a fuel level sender.
That video was nuts. But again, the tank is baffled so I'll be fine there. If I could get foam in there I'd use that, but I'd have to get the tank lid off to do it. More of a pain than it's worth with the internal baffles already in it.

So maybe a more specific question. Are the guys on here with cells using straps like the factory tank, rigid mounting the tank with tabs or some sort of cradle, or some other super secret squirrel method?