Front Crank Seal Remover/Installer

chandler583

F'in New Guy
Dec 30, 2014
Houston, TX
I'm about to do the water pump on my truck and figured since I've got it apart I would do the front main seal. Does anyone have those tools available that I could possibly rent for a fee? I find it hard to justify paying for them for essentially a one-time use and local mechanics want $1,000 for water pump and seal job.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
^^this, rarely does that one or the rear main seal go bad. honestly feel guys are more likely to loose a piston before one of those seals ever starts leaking

chandler583

F'in New Guy
Dec 30, 2014
Houston, TX
I've got some oil seeping from around the front of the engine I have yet to pin point the exact location. Would you say the oil pan is more likely to develop a leak, even if it's never been removed?

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Like stated above, front/rear main seal leaks are uncommon on a duramax but it is a possibility. Clean everything extremely well and see if the leak shows back up again.

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Check the bypass valve just left of center of Crank. Have seen those leak.

As stated above, front seals hardly ever ever leak. Unless you don't get them in correctly, then they will leak. Probably borrow the tool from someone who works at a dealership. Not common in real world.

Sent from a russian troll farm using Tapatalk

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I've got some oil seeping from around the front of the engine I have yet to pin point the exact location. Would you say the oil pan is more likely to develop a leak, even if it's never been removed?

Yup, oil pan is more likely to leak since the front cover and upper oil pan have to seat perfectly together and they still weep a touch over time. very common and requires the trans to come out and front diff to get the upper pan off.