Forged or Cast pistons

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
Socals crank is .250 narrower rod journals than stock. Callies is .040 narrower. Im assuming the winberg is the same as callies. Im currently shopping for one as we speak. Both Wagler and my machinist say good luck getting a Callies these days. Socal is the most expensive at around $6k retail.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Socals crank is .250 narrower rod journals than stock. Callies is .040 narrower. Im assuming the winberg is the same as callies. Im currently shopping for one as we speak. Both Wagler and my machinist say good luck getting a Callies these days. Socal is the most expensive at around $6k retail.

Have you tried Winberg?

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
Should have mentioned earlier. The socal crank obviously requires machining to the rods on the big ends. The rod bearings only need chamfered, their working area actually doesn't get reduced. They of course offer the parts or services to make it all work.
Whereas the .040 narrower cranks may not require any rod modification, depending on which rods you run. And obviously require no modification to the bearings.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Should have mentioned earlier. The socal crank obviously requires machining to the rods on the big ends. The rod bearings only need chamfered, their working area actually doesn't get reduced. They of course offer the parts or services to make it all work.
Whereas the .040 narrower cranks may not require any rod modification, depending on which rods you run. And obviously require no modification to the bearings.

When we did mine, my machine shop had a Crower (mine) and a Carrillo on hand. Both needed to be machined to fit the Callies crank. Im not sure on each machine shop but i know my guy needed to create a special jig to hold the rod correctly and machine the rod like he wanted.

Reactions: Bdsankey