Ford 6.7l help

Jan 28, 2015
Ohio
Was wondering if anyone on here had experience with the 6.7l power strokes. We picked up a 2012 not to long ago. Not sure if we can run regular coolant and just add the additive to it, or if we have to get the coolant from ford with the additive already in it. Truck is throwing a light for the coolant additive after replacing the water pump.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Just do a drain and re-fill with dex-cool. That's what I have been using in them. According to the parts store Zerex brand Dex-Cool is compatible with all 6.7 Ford's and late model 6.7 dodges.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Will that get rid of the message about the coolant additive? Thats the main concern as it is annoying.

Does it say check coolant additive?

If so just get the additive at ford and clear the light. It's a mileage based reminder. Basically an oil change light

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Will that get rid of the message about the coolant additive? Thats the main concern as it is annoying.
Does it say check coolant additive?

If so just get the additive at ford and clear the light. It's a mileage based reminder. Basically an oil change light
Yeah what he said. Either additive or drain and fill. Then clear the light with the steering wheel controls just like with the oil change or fuel filter message

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
Yeah what he said. Either additive or drain and fill. Then clear the light with the steering wheel controls just like with the oil change or fuel filter message

I think an XL truck doesn't have the coolant aditive reset menu on the dic. If it's an XL, you may have to dig into the manual to figure out how to reset it. If the truck has the better dash(XLT & up iirc) you rest the coolant additive reminder in the same menu as the oil change reset.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Fords.......coolant additive light.........:roflmao:

Makes them money. Kinda smart. I mean I've made money off of an idiot light and after seeing an lb7 this week with some nasty corrosion I understand

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
I think an XL truck doesn't have the coolant aditive reset menu on the dic. If it's an XL, you may have to dig into the manual to figure out how to reset it. If the truck has the better dash(XLT & up iirc) you rest the coolant additive reminder in the same menu as the oil change reset.

I don't know if an xl truck will even pop up with a coolant or fuel filter message will it? I've put almost 30k miles on my XL 6.7 and haven't seen a fuel filter message yet. Only oil change.

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
I don't know if an xl truck will even pop up with a coolant or fuel filter message will it? I've put almost 30k miles on my XL 6.7 and haven't seen a fuel filter message yet. Only oil change.

I've never come accross one saying the fuel filter was due or coolant additive. I just know you cannot reset them thru the dic on a XL

Tothemax

xgmtech
Oct 16, 2014
new york
Makes them money. Kinda smart. I mean I've made money off of an idiot light and after seeing an lb7 this week with some nasty corrosion I understand

the scary part is there serious. I had to replace a front cover on a 6.4 ford that was 4 years old with 45k at the time coolant ate a hole right though to the crank case. I've also seen a bunch of coolant system corrosion on 6.0 fords. never seen a chevy do anything like that unless the last guy filled it with swamp water lol

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Just do a drain and re-fill with dex-cool. That's what I have been using in them. According to the parts store Zerex brand Dex-Cool is compatible with all 6.7 Ford's and late model 6.7 dodges.

I use the zerex brand as well and really like it. When I did my injectors it was 7 1/2 years old, and still looked like it was fresh out of the jug. The one I had problems with was the prestone universal stuff.