Fog lights what did you do ?

Duroman

Jan 14, 2015
I have the factory fog lights below the bumper I would like to keep the look but they are worth less . Look good but only light about 20 feet in front . So I tried LEDS still not good . So has anybody found a way to make the factory ones brighter or did you just replace them and what did you replace them with

sneaky98gt

Nov 5, 2013
If it's a 2002, are they the same as the 03-07s? The fog lights in my 2003 are easily some of the best fog lights of any vehicle I've ever owned.

The purpose of fog lights aren't to be super bright or project a long distance in front of the vehicle. It's to illuminate the area immediately in front of and as far to the sides as possible. The 03-07 Silverado fogs do this quite well.

For the sake of everyone else on the road, don't drop HIDs or LEDs into your reflector fog housings (or headlight housings for that matter either). Sure, they're "brighter", but they don't put any substantial amount more light down the road than decent halogen bulbs that the reflector is designed for. And they absolutely blast everyone else on the road with glare.

If you actually want more light down the road, then do it right and swap / retrofit in LED or HID projectors.

Reactions: Hoser

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
In my ‘04 after I raised the bumper up I installed Rigid duallys Literally square peg round hole haha. They were super bright and lit up the road nicely. I only used them as off road lights really. Lonely roads at night and what not. So depending on your use maybe an option.

Reactions: 2004LB7

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
if its an 02, do the high beam all on mod. its just a matter of grounding out a wire on one headlight, i just dont remember what one. your high beam indicator wont come on but its pretty obvious when your high beams are on.

Reactions: Bdsankey

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
For the sake of everyone else on the road, don't drop HIDs or LEDs into your reflector fog housings (or headlight housings for that matter either). Sure, they're "brighter", but they don't put any substantial amount more light down the road than decent halogen bulbs that the reflector is designed for. And they absolutely blast everyone else on the road with glare.
for those just doing a bulb swap I agree. but if re-aiming the light afterwards it can make a huge improvement without impacting other drivers. I've only been flashed once or twice in the 13 years or so that I've had HIDs in halogen housings. aiming the hotspot and spill away from incoming traffic is key.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
if its an 02, do the high beam all on mod. its just a matter of grounding out a wire on one headlight, i just dont remember what one. your high beam indicator wont come on but its pretty obvious when your high beams are on.
i think you jump a diode from the normal headlight relay to the high beam relay. when the highs are on it keeps the lows on too. I think it's the same for the fogs

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
i think you jump a diode from the normal headlight relay to the high beam relay. when the highs are on it keeps the lows on too. I think it's the same for the fogs
the 01-02 you run the low beam ground to chassis. 03 and up you do the diode mod.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
yeah 01-02 is all different. gotta ground out like Rob said. i tried all kinds of other ways with my fog lights to stay on with the highs too (my HID off road lights were on the fog circuit). it never really worked right and caused issues. grounding the low beams wont make the fogs work with highs on.

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
I’m with you on that one James. I always wanted to control aftermarket’s without the factory switch too.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
If you have already tried different bulbs including LED's and didn't achieve a good result, I would look into something aftermarket and make it work for your vehicle. Unfortunately the aftermarket doesn't have much of anything good for the GMT800 trucks from 99-07 classic

The Diode Dynamics SS2 will likely clear the opening on the 99-02 valance. Or you could try something else from Baja designs or Rigid.

The Cheap Chinese stuff doesn't last and doesn't have the best useable light.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
After doing the “all on mod” to my 02 I have zero desire for more light. I also am running PIAA 80w/100w bulbs everywhere and love them.