LLY: flywheel housing bolt size?

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Be careful, heard lots of stories of the rear cover not being able to hold the motor. Better to mount the motor on the stand from the motor mount

valleyduramax

Jul 25, 2010
Ottawa ON Canada
Ya im a little bit nervous to mount it from there. Ill have to put a support under the oil pan as this is just for a mockup motor and pan is already dented. Ill try it and see how it goes. May have to build a mount for it then. But thanks!

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I built mine on a stand held from the rear cover. Just make sure you get at least 4 bolts in before you let the stand hold any weight, and ensure they all have good thread engagement.

You can rip the threads out of the rear cover if you don't use enough bolts to hold the weight, or the bolts aren't getting equal weight... so be careful, but it can be done just fine.

Mine held the weight of the long block (heads, turbo, everything) with 4 high quality bolts spaced fairly evenly around the rear cover. But I wouldn't trust it to hold the full weight while you are prying on something to loosen/tighten it, so additional support is recommended in that case. I would use a engine hoist to support the front of the motor when I had to reef on something (like head bolts).

Last edited:

Animals1234

Jun 8, 2017
I built mine on a stand held from the rear cover. Just make sure you get at least 4 bolts in before you let the stand hold any weight, and ensure they all have good thread engagement.

You can rip the threads out of the rear cover if you don't use enough bolts to hold the weight, or the bolts aren't getting equal weight... so be careful, but it can be done just fine.

Mine held the weight of the long block (heads, turbo, everything) with 4 high quality bolts spaced fairly evenly around the rear cover. But I wouldn't trust it to hold the full weight while you are prying on something to loosen/tighten it, so additional support is recommended in that case. I would use a engine hoist to support the front of the motor when I had to reef on something (like head bolts).

Sorry to bring up an old post Dave but when you put your engine on a stand did you have the flywheel there or did you put the flywheel after everything? thank you

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Sorry to bring up an old post Dave but when you put your engine on a stand did you have the flywheel there or did you put the flywheel after everything? thank you
I put the flywheel on at the end, since I was building the engine from parts. But you should be able to put a complete engine with flywheel on a stand.

Sent from my FlashScan V2 using Tapatalk