Fleece Performance 2004.5-2007 Duramax PowerFlo In-tank Lift Pump?

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Nice idea from Fleece. Makes one wonder why GM couldnt have come up with the same thing in the first place, doesnt it?

I believe Kennedy pumps are the same general georotor design, and they are flow thru if they stop working.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I'm glad they came out with them. Wonder what makes them incompatible with LB7, I'd venture to guess it has to do with the fuel sender which wouldn't be hard for fleece to change. I'm still a huge fan of the FASS/Airdog style with improved filtration but this is a nice option for a guy who doesn't want to deal with added filters or see them. I'd mention noise but I believe this isn't much of an issue anymore with the new FASS and Airdog 4g pumps, last FASS signature 165 I put on with a sump was damn near silent and made me hate my old 150 :roflmao:.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin

The difference is Fleece actually knows what they are selling. BMP has been asked repetedly what the pressure is, one post early on was "ummm, I don't know" kind of answers. That definitely gives the warm and fuzzy feeling. The Fleece drop in module actually makes sense for guys who don't want a ton of plumbing, don't want added noise, and don't want to see big filters as well as using proven OE level parts.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Nice idea from Fleece. Makes one wonder why GM couldnt have come up with the same thing in the first place, doesnt it?

I believe Kennedy pumps are the same general georotor design, and they are flow thru if they stop working.

No, Kennedy's pump's are an impeller design. There's an impeller that spins atop a stub shaft and slings the fuel outward to move fuel. It provides no restriction in case it fails. From looking at Fleece's design, it looks like 2 TBI pumps which are also a low pressure high volume impeller design(8-13 psi, but high volume), they're also VERY quiet, and since it's just a motor With an impeller on the end they last a long time(tbi pumps routinely last 150k+ miles). So these should be a good long lasting setup if its what I think it is.

gmc502

Jan 16, 2011
Wonder what makes them incompatible with LB7, I'd venture to guess it has to do with the fuel sender which wouldn't be hard for fleece to change..

Its actually very easy to change,,when I did my sender mods for my lift pump,,I got a sender from an 05 or 06 truck.I put the new sender in and my gauge was backwards.45mins later ,I switched the ceramic resistive board from my 02 sender into the newer style.just a couple of solder joints.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I'm glad they came out with them. Wonder what makes them incompatible with LB7, I'd venture to guess it has to do with the fuel sender which wouldn't be hard for fleece to change. I'm still a huge fan of the FASS/Airdog style with improved filtration but this is a nice option for a guy who doesn't want to deal with added filters or see them. I'd mention noise but I believe this isn't much of an issue anymore with the new FASS and Airdog 4g pumps, last FASS signature 165 I put on with a sump was damn near silent and made me hate my old 150 :roflmao:.

I haven't really decided which way I want to go yet.

I am just not keen on drilling the tank.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
We've installed a couple of the LML and Dodge pumps. They're really nice.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
We've installed a couple of the LML and Dodge pumps. They're really nice.

Good to know.

I am not opposed to running an external lift pump with extra filtration. I'm just not a fan of drilling the tank to run a sump or a to do a draw straw. I don't have any first hand experience just the hear say after the fact.

I have heard of leak issues with a sump and some say the draw straw doesn't always work well past 1/4 tank. I typically don't go past that unless on a trip.

I haven't even driven the poor truck lately...

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I don't have leaking issues on my RCD sump with feed and return ports on either my LB7 or LLY. I do have a leaking issue with my Beans sump on my LLY (truck has 2 sumps out of laziness) but has been on there since 2014 shortly after I purchased the truck. It leaks because I managed to damage the sealing surface of the tank and it hasn't been bad enough to really make me care.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I don't have leaking issues on my RCD sump with feed and return ports on either my LB7 or LLY. I do have a leaking issue with my Beans sump on my LLY (truck has 2 sumps out of laziness) but has been on there since 2014 shortly after I purchased the truck. It leaks because I managed to damage the sealing surface of the tank and it hasn't been bad enough to really make me care.

I see the difference between the 2 styles but not sure why one style leaked and the other didn't.

Is the pipe on the RCD for the return side? Maybe that's the difference, getting the pressure away from the sealing area.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I can see the simplicity of this but imop the factory filter is grossly inadequate on all Duramax models.

Working for Cat I got a real education on proper filtration with the C175 high pressure common rail fuel systems. I changed more Fuel pumps and injectors than I care to remember.... They went to 5 fuel filters, 2 water sep filters at the tank and 3 ultra high efficiency filters before the fuel pump. The fuel is looped through the 3 filters 12-13 times IIRC before it enters the high pressure fuel pump... It took that to get a fuel pump to live more than 5-6K hours.

Trust me you can't have to many fuel filters on your truck. I run a Cat water sep filter and the new High pressure common rail ultra high efficiency filter. I plan on adding another ultra high efficiency filter to that as well.

As far as the sump or draw straw, it's all in the care of the install and having the propwer tools. I have seen both leak from shoddy installs and both work perfectly when installed correctly.

Just my 2 cents.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
I would think it wouldn't be obvious to the dealership either. I might get one for my stock truck since I think I'm keeping it for a while longer since the new ones are hideous...:mad:

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
I can see the simplicity of this but imop the factory filter is grossly inadequate on all Duramax models.

Working for Cat I got a real education on proper filtration with the C175 high pressure common rail fuel systems. I changed more Fuel pumps and injectors than I care to remember.... They went to 5 fuel filters, 2 water sep filters at the tank and 3 ultra high efficiency filters before the fuel pump. The fuel is looped through the 3 filters 12-13 times IIRC before it enters the high pressure fuel pump... It took that to get a fuel pump to live more than 5-6K hours.

Trust me you can't have to many fuel filters on your truck. I run a Cat water sep filter and the new High pressure common rail ultra high efficiency filter. I plan on adding another ultra high efficiency filter to that as well.

As far as the sump or draw straw, it's all in the care of the install and having the propwer tools. I have seen both leak from shoddy installs and both work perfectly when installed correctly.

Just my 2 cents.

Sounds like a junk design :poke: :D

Do they outsource, or build their own? I remember when Cat released a study, 90+% of fuel system failures are caused by contamination of over 5 microns. At least I think that was it :rofl:

LS1K5

Nov 16, 2018
SLO CA
Anyone have any experience with one of these yet? I'm leaning towards this lift pump for my truck, might wait to see if there's another black Friday deal.