First time sled pulling

Hnkstang50

Mar 28, 2016
NJ
I pulled my truck for the first time this week. There was only one class so I was pulling against real pulling trucks. The class was just 8000 lb. 26in hitch height. No tech inspection past that.

I pulled 282 ft. They didn't say your mph. Ended up 9th out of 31 trucks. Im thrilled with how the truck did. I lowered the front. Clamped the rear springs and made a set of adjustable suspension stops for the rear.

The only bad is I bent my hitch. Does anyone have a good way to reinforce the stock hitch under the bumper. It's not too bad but don't want to pull again with it how it is.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HSEfeTCUxLg

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
So many things you can do to improve..

What I do to the stock hitches is take a piece of plate and run from the hitch to the spare tire cross memeber..

If your going to start pulling more Id put a roll pan on and move the hitch forward then brace it. Makes a huge difference

Hnkstang50

Mar 28, 2016
NJ
So many things you can do to improve..

What I do to the stock hitches is take a piece of plate and run from the hitch to the spare tire cross memeber..

If your going to start pulling more Id put a roll pan on and move the hitch forward then brace it. Makes a huge difference

Realistically I will only pull once or twice a year.

Any pics of how you beef up the stock hitch.

Looking at it closer I think it mostly pulled out of the bumper. Not sure how bent it is at this point.

arneson

Aug 14, 2011
stoughton, wisconsin
I'd seriously buy the bigchevyhitch style. tons stronger then a stock unit. the hitches that come on these trucks stock are way to light duty. even for daily road use pulling.

congrats on your first pull.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Realistically I will only pull once or twice a year.

Any pics of how you beef up the stock hitch.

Looking at it closer I think it mostly pulled out of the bumper. Not sure how bent it is at this point.

I'll see if I can get you one.

The ones I've seen bent are usually pulling the bumper down too

Hnkstang50

Mar 28, 2016
NJ
I tow a landscape trailer every weekend so the hitch needs to be practical. The sled pull is mostly for fun so I don't need to go crazy moving it forward on the truck. I found a cracked weld on my hitch too so I've decided to buy a new better one. Big chevy looks great but are out of stock rite now.. any body use curt 15702 class v hitches or Reese tow beast? Or is the big chevy the best for a stock like style ?

arneson

Aug 14, 2011
stoughton, wisconsin
he was out when I ordered for him as well. Won't take long for him to get you set up. I loved mine. fit was awesome. extremely heavy duty compared to stock. I would hold out for his. my new truck is also getting one of his really soon.
I also own a landscaping company and have to use the hitch often. I wouldn't buy anything different now after having his for 5yrs now.