LML Fan Clutch Cycling on and off

Gilstan2015

Dec 25, 2018
I have a 2015 GMC Durmax (LML) and have just recently noticed that my fan clutch has been cycling on and off. It will only cut on for about 10 seconds then cut off for about 30 seconds and do it again. This is in 20 to 40 degree weather, and the engine is not running hot so there is no reason for it to even cut on. It will do this sometimes the entire time I'm in the truck. Is there a thermostat that controls the fan clutch or is the fan clutch itself going bad. Anyone have similar problems?

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
I have a 2015 GMC Durmax (LML) and have just recently noticed that my fan clutch has been cycling on and off. It will only cut on for about 10 seconds then cut off for about 30 seconds and do it again. This is in 20 to 40 degree weather, and the engine is not running hot so there is no reason for it to even cut on. It will do this sometimes the entire time I'm in the truck. Is there a thermostat that controls the fan clutch or is the fan clutch itself going bad. Anyone have similar problems?
They are controlled by the ECM now. We have had a few bad already. It may have a DTC stored for it indicating the issue. Your GM dealer can check to see if its covered or if it included in a recall or at least a TSB concerning it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Is the engine cold while it’s coming on? Maybe it’s coming on to load the engine for faster heat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gilstan2015

Dec 25, 2018
No, it's after I've had it on the road and it's warmed up. It is hard to hear when going down the road but really noticeable when a slower speeds and in stop and go traffic.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Its controlled by the ecm, you need to put a scanner on it to see if it is being commanded on or not. If the ac is on, that will make it cycle at idle.

Cody324

Dec 9, 2020

Did you ever get an answer regarding the fan clutch issue? I have a 2015 LML as well and it’s doing the same thing.. I’m assuming I need to change the fan clutch assembly.