LB7: Extreme Lag in Hot Weather

steveman09

Apr 30, 2013
So I have been having this issue only during the hot summer months when its over 80-degrees outside and the truck is fully warmed up, it has excessive turbo lag to the point where its impossible to even spin the tires when power braking at times, when its cooler out no problem lights the tires off with ease.

Monitoring Intake air temps I noticed on my Torque Pro app the intake temps are as high as 160F while sitting, I wounder if this is causing the ECU to pull power back.

When cooler outside the truck rips, also when hot outside once moving down the road truck pulls just fine its just the initial lag when really heat soaked.

My intake setup is stock air box with K&N drop-in BUT I am missing the piece from the airbox to the fender so it basically sucks how engine bay air which I know isnt ideal.

Anyone else got experience with this? Should I get a S&B sealed to the fender?

Truck Setup :

2004 CCSB 4x4 LB7 Motor, Stock Trans.
K&N Drop-In Air Filter (stock airbox)
Straight pipe exhaust
EFI Live DSP5 By Idaho Rob

Does this when on stock AND levels 2-5 no change.
Injectors done 10k miles ago and truck has no hazing or fuel in oil at all

Dynospeed

Aug 23, 2014
I was messing around with my truck over the weekend to see if my dirty filter was causing my black smoking on tune #5. I drove around with the lid off my s&b and no filter. It sounded great but iat's got crazy hot. I was seeing from 15-50 degrees over normal.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
how bad does the truck smoke when your trying to get the turbo to spool? you might have oil on the MAF as well from that filter which will screw with the MAF and make the truck really laggy

steveman09

Apr 30, 2013
I will clean it and report back heading off on a 3000 mile road trip this weekend so it will have to wait until I get back next week.

Thanks for the replies I appreciate it.

I am also going to try and isolate the engine bay heat from the air box better if cleaning the MAF doesnt work.

steveman09

Apr 30, 2013
Fixed the issue the air filter was clogged! Wow they get dirty quick, cleaned it and lightly re oiled it truck rips the tires easily again even in hot weather :)