Exhaust brake

Log Boss

Jul 20, 2020
Thinking about adding a exhaust brake to my 08 duramax I was gonna add the one where u just replaced the down pipe. I was on a different forum and someone was telling my truck may already be equipped with one in the ecm and I should check here to see if anyone knows anything about my truck already being equipped with it and how to access it

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Why wouldn't you just tune the truck and use the OEM VGT turbo as an exhaust brake? To use it you need aftermarket ECM tuning as the OEM calibration doesn't use the VGT as an exhaust brake until 2011.

Log Boss

Jul 20, 2020
Why wouldn't you just tune the truck and use the OEM VGT turbo as an exhaust brake? To use it you need aftermarket ECM tuning as the OEM calibration doesn't use the VGT as an exhaust brake until 2011.
I'm open to any suggestions I don't know which way to I prefer to keep my OEM turbo what turn do u recommend do the a link or website?

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
You have 3 options
Have one of our vendors that does tuning make you a tune with EFI Live that makes the turbo function as a turbo brake.

Install a switch and some wiring to the ECM that makes the turbo function as a turbo brake

Install and aftermarket exhaust brake

Reactions: Bdsankey

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I've never tried it on an LMM, but on the LBZ trucks, you wire the exhaust brake switch exactly how it is wired up on the same engine model Kodiak/Top Kick. You have to wire up the switch and indicator light on an LBZ (I believe it is 3 wires total going to the ECM). It's nicer than doing it through tuning because it activates an alternate downshift strategy that makes the exhaust brake more effective.

Reactions: Bdsankey

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
The turbo is already capable of functioning like an exhaust brake. The VGT/VNT t
I've never tried it on an LMM, but on the LBZ trucks, you wire the exhaust brake switch exactly how it is wired up on the same engine model Kodiak/Top Kick. You have to wire up the switch and indicator light on an LBZ (I believe it is 3 wires total going to the ECM). It's nicer than doing it through tuning because it activates an alternate downshift strategy that makes the exhaust brake more effective.

Learn more everyday! I didn't know that actually was a thing (external switch).

JaseVernon

Sep 23, 2020
Vernon
Hey everyone, I am just starting my research as I just picked up a 2006 2500HD and trying to figure out my off the hop changes. One thing I am finding is that EFI Live Tune with Brake means the Brake always activates regardless of tow/haul etc. With the switch for the build in Brake, you get to decide when it is on or off. I see a lot of people talking about one or the other, but I know I am going to put a tune on it, has anyone done a EFI Tune and the Factory brake with a switch vs Adding that feature in EFI Live tune?

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I’ve got a customer who wired in a switch like a Kodiak and used that and asked to have the turbo brake feature removed from his file and he seems to like it.

The turbo brake will not activate in every tune, just the tunes commanded which is usually just the tow tune.

My personal preference is to let the tuner activate the turbo brake in the tow tune where I don’t have to flip switches etc.

Reactions: JaseVernon

JaseVernon

Sep 23, 2020
Vernon
Thanks, I guess I am just not sure I want more than 1 tune, but have yet to chat with someone about the available tunes. I for some reason always thought the tow and economy tunes were the same. (Not sure why, but after all the reading just had that impression.) I am really only interested in those 2 things, towing and economy. So I figured single tune, no switch and the brake switch. But if they are separate tunes than it makes sense to have the EFI Live Tow/Brake tune and an economy tune...that just means then I have to pick 3 more! lol

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
I put the turbo brake on all my tunes. It’s only going to be active at the rpm it’s set at. Mines from 1600rpm and up in the 0 and 5mm3 range. Basically it’s only active at freeway speeds, never notice it in town unless I down shift manually. I run enough hills on trips that it’s nice to not use the brakes on the way down.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I have both a switch and tune. I think the tune has better braking depending on how it’s setup then the switch. The switch doesn’t activate the brake as much as you can make it do so in a tune. Does it really matter or make a difference I don’t know. IMO it really comes down to if you want more then one tune. The way mine is set up in the tune I get some funk shifts driving around town without the truck in T/H, so I always switch to a different tune for just daily driving.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I’ve got a customer who wired in a switch like a Kodiak and used that and asked to have the turbo brake feature removed from his file and he seems to like it.

The turbo brake will not activate in every tune, just the tunes commanded which is usually just the tow tune.

My personal preference is to let the tuner activate the turbo brake in the tow tune where I don’t have to flip switches etc.

Not much different IMO. The switch isnt like a engine brake on a semi where you “should” flip it on and off whether you’re accelerating or decelerating. It’s just like switching tunes to engine brake tune or regular.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Not much different IMO. The switch isnt like a engine brake on a semi where you “should” flip it on and off whether you’re accelerating or decelerating. It’s just like switching tunes to engine brake tune or regular.

I agree, I personally like things in my DD/tow rig to be hands off. Wiring it like a Kodiak also activates a different downshift profile to increase it's effectiveness that isn't always needed plus you have to remember to turn it on vs clicking to the tow tune and being done.