Exhaust brake

Log Boss

Jul 20, 2020
Thinking about adding a exhaust brake to my 08 duramax I was gonna add the one where u just replaced the down pipe. I was on a different forum and someone was telling my truck may already be equipped with one in the ecm and I should check here to see if anyone knows anything about my truck already being equipped with it and how to access it

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Why wouldn't you just tune the truck and use the OEM VGT turbo as an exhaust brake? To use it you need aftermarket ECM tuning as the OEM calibration doesn't use the VGT as an exhaust brake until 2011.

Log Boss

Jul 20, 2020
Why wouldn't you just tune the truck and use the OEM VGT turbo as an exhaust brake? To use it you need aftermarket ECM tuning as the OEM calibration doesn't use the VGT as an exhaust brake until 2011.
I'm open to any suggestions I don't know which way to I prefer to keep my OEM turbo what turn do u recommend do the a link or website?

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
You have 3 options
Have one of our vendors that does tuning make you a tune with EFI Live that makes the turbo function as a turbo brake.

Install a switch and some wiring to the ECM that makes the turbo function as a turbo brake

Install and aftermarket exhaust brake

Reactions: Bdsankey

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I've never tried it on an LMM, but on the LBZ trucks, you wire the exhaust brake switch exactly how it is wired up on the same engine model Kodiak/Top Kick. You have to wire up the switch and indicator light on an LBZ (I believe it is 3 wires total going to the ECM). It's nicer than doing it through tuning because it activates an alternate downshift strategy that makes the exhaust brake more effective.

Reactions: Bdsankey

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
The turbo is already capable of functioning like an exhaust brake. The VGT/VNT t
I've never tried it on an LMM, but on the LBZ trucks, you wire the exhaust brake switch exactly how it is wired up on the same engine model Kodiak/Top Kick. You have to wire up the switch and indicator light on an LBZ (I believe it is 3 wires total going to the ECM). It's nicer than doing it through tuning because it activates an alternate downshift strategy that makes the exhaust brake more effective.
Learn more everyday! I didn't know that actually was a thing (external switch).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)