Exergy CP4 Longevity??

snowman22

Jan 30, 2018
SoCal
So I've been looking for information on the Exergy CP4 and can't find too much. I've seen a few people who run them, but does anyone actually know if Exergy did anything to keep it from coming apart in spectacular fashion?

I've read too much about issues with a CP3 conversion and honestly keeping a CP4 in the truck would make more sense for my application as long as it stays together.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
What issues have you read about doing a CP3 conversion?

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
If they haven't addressed the issue with the piston turning in the bore then I wouldn't trust it anymore then a stock cp4

snowman22

Jan 30, 2018
SoCal
If they haven't addressed the issue with the piston turning in the bore then I wouldn't trust it anymore then a stock cp4

Pretty much. I can’t find anything on what has or hasn’t been changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZlml

Jun 5, 2016
Goodyear, AZ
I didn't think the conversion price was very expensive compared to a new fuel system. The only issue I ran into was the 9th injector plug fitting was machined wrong and didn't fit. After getting the right fitting it was cake. I think peace of mind is worth more than the cost of the conversion.

036.6turbo

Jan 17, 2014
I've read too much about issues with a CP3 conversion and honestly keeping a CP4 in the truck would make more sense for my application as long as it stays together.

My son and I both have 15.5s, we've converted both of them. No issues whatsoever. Both Wehrli kits with exergy sportsman pumps.

We both kept our stock filter heads, I used the stock fuel line (it needed to be re positioned slightly to clear the pump). He used the "John C." fuel line. It fit like a glove.

Curious why the CP4 is better for your application as your signature says you have 95k miles, you are almost out of warranty. If you were going to do enough work to actually remove your CP4, putting another one back in there would be illogical to me. Unless you are in a state where the emissions inspections mandate it? If so, I'd be looking at a CARB compliant CP3 like the S&S one.

https://ssdiesel.com/shop/all/lml-cp3-conversions/

Last edited:

kheims

Oct 7, 2012
If I remember right I believe Mark from Danville used the CP4 from exergy and hadn’t had any problems. Maybe he will chime in with his experience of it. Or you might be able to give him a call and see what he says.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
SDP conversion kit fits perfectly. Very detailed instructions. Costs about $700 with no pump. Tuning isn’t an issue anymore.

Other than you have to delete the truck (which it looks like yours is done already) it’s very manageable

My next Lml will be swapped shortly after purchase, small tow tune and drive it. Once you get the emission issues out of the way and don’t have to worry about the pump they are very reliable.

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
The Exergy 10mm cp4 is good for up to 800hp with no tuning changes need for it at all. We have had zero issues with it and have one of the original ones they built on out shop truck. If you still don't want a Cp4 then they are about to release a cp3 conversion kit of their own that addresses the tuning issues normally associated with the conversion. They have our 15.5LML currently doing the install and testing on it before it is released. Should be a great think when it is ready for the public.

snowman22

Jan 30, 2018
SoCal
The Exergy 10mm cp4 is good for up to 800hp with no tuning changes need for it at all. We have had zero issues with it and have one of the original ones they built on out shop truck. If you still don't want a Cp4 then they are about to release a cp3 conversion kit of their own that addresses the tuning issues normally associated with the conversion. They have our 15.5LML currently doing the install and testing on it before it is released. Should be a great think when it is ready for the public.

How many miles have you put on the CP4? Do you know if they did anything internally to keep them from having the normal catastrophic failure?

But also good to know about an Exergy CP3 conversion that will eliminate the tuning issues associated with the conversion in the works. Maybe I should just wait a little longer before calling you for a pump and charger.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I have had really good luck copying regulator current and PID controller tables from an LBZ and pasting them into the LML tunes and not having any issues with controlling rail pressure properly.

$chultz38

Jan 22, 2009
Isn't the cp4 timed and the front cover has to come off to do thst? If so that would be a lot more work to change out one vs converting to cp3.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Isn't the cp4 timed and the front cover has to come off to do thst? If so that would be a lot more work to change out one vs converting to cp3.

The CP4 is timed but the CP3 is not so no need to line up any timing marks for a CP3 conversation

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
There is a removable plug in the front cover you can look through to see the timing marks.

snowman22

Jan 30, 2018
SoCal
Well, I finally got an answer from Exergy. They said the pump design has not been changed internally and should be expected to last as long as the original CP4.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Well, I finally got an answer from Exergy. They said the pump design has not been changed internally and should be expected to last as long as the original CP4.

Well that make me feel all warm and cozy inside. :banging:

snowman22

Jan 30, 2018
SoCal
Well that make me feel all warm and cozy inside. :banging:

I was really hoping for a different answer since I really wanted to put the CP4 in. It does come with the 25 micron screen, but I’m reluctant to believe that’s enough to protect all the downstream components sufficiently.

Now I’m back to the drawing board for my comifornia solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk