Engine Swap question

countrycorey

Trust Me I'm an Engineer
Jan 30, 2010
LA
My wife's 02 Yukon is getting a little tired and I'm starting to look for a replacement engine. Any suggestions as id like have a replacement ready to go when this one does go?

Also, I ran across an LS2 & 4 speed auto out of a trailblazer ss. How would that work?

Thanks in advance

Corey

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Ls2 would be SWEET!
:woott:

Anything will be SWEET with the proper application of parts and attention, your opportunities are limitless in the platform you're delving into Corey!

The LS2 is the obvious choice for a lighter "entry level" block that offers significant displacement, although I wouldn't stroke it...

There will probably be some swapping necessary, like reluctor wheels, knock position sensors and some pins that need to be moved...etc

Your best bet is to find out what reluctor wheel your Yukon has and find a donor match
Most the LS2's had the 24x reluctor wheel, which is what I believe the LQ4 and the LY6 had...

Trans wise, you can bolt almost ANYTHING to an LS2 or any LS variant

What's in there now, an LQ4/4L65?

Whatever you do, make the swap worth while and use better than the factory castings that what comes for heads on the LQ4...

I've got an LS2 bare block :D
And a 4L70...

Some ported 243's with stainless oversized valves and a mild cam on a 366ci LS2 with full long tubes is a potent little engine combo... Good for 450 to the wheels and 12-14mpg
Lol

countrycorey

Trust Me I'm an Engineer
Jan 30, 2010
LA
I haven't done much LS research due to having only a Duramax for the last several years. I'd like to not have to change anything other than the engine (would like to keep stock driveshafts) and the trans if necessary. I'm open to suggestions guys.

Given Info
2002 Yukon 4WD
5.3L
4L60E
3.73 gears

Info Needed
Reluctor wheel tooth count
Can 4L60 be "built" strong enough to handle a mild LS2 <450hp
What would be some suggestions for a good DD build for my Yukon?

Uses
Wife's Daily Driver & kid hauler
Long Trip vehicle so it needs to be reliable & get decent mileage
Low to Midrange (shouldn't exceed 4500-5000 rpms)

Corey

04chase

Mar 28, 2008
Later ls2's had a 58x relIuctor wheel which will require some mods to run. And and a new front timing cover. If you could find an ls2 from an 05 vette then it had the 24 tooth reluctor.

A built 4l65e (5 planetary gears vs 4) could hold up but the weight of the Yukon doesn't help as they are still only so strong

I'd look into an lq9 (escalade and Silverado ss trucks) . Stock 6.0 l, iron block with 345 hp and would drop right in. Tons of options out there just depends on budget and goals.

That ls2 and 4 speed could be made to work (it had a 4l70 which is even better than the 4l65e) and a few minor tweaks via the cam sensor and reluctor . ( lingenfelter makes a controller that is plug n play for this swap) so it can be done.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
I would find a 6.0 LQ4/9 or a LY6 with a 4L80. 4L60s are garbage.

Also ligenfelter (sp) makes a conversion box for the 24/58 reluctor gear swap for like 220$ so you don't have to change the reluctor for the swap.

IMHO finding an aluminum block for this swap is unnecessary.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
I would find a 6.0 LQ4/9 or a LY6 with a 4L80. 4L60s are garbage.

Also ligenfelter (sp) makes a conversion box for the 24/58 reluctor gear swap for like 220$ so you don't have to change the reluctor for the swap.

IMHO finding an aluminum block for this swap is unnecessary.

The 4L80 robs alot of power, and its bigger and heavier...
The TBSS guys don't swap the 70E out for the 80E until 800whp

The 65E would hold up just fine with some servos and a shift kit, for the duty that Corey is using the rig for at that power level (450, if it is reached)

You can also find 5.3's like snickers bars in a convenience store, theyrea a great engine. Im sire you could find built ones for cheap...

Have you looked for anything?
Thompson Motorsports
Texas speed
PCMofNC
For a couple options off the top of my head...

Also, don't throw that idea out of swapping in another 5.3, that there's a direct swap and if you found a built and stroked 383 5.3L that would be pretty epic

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Later ls2's had a 58x relIuctor wheel which will require some mods to run. And and a new front timing cover. If you could find an ls2 from an 05 vette then it had the 24 tooth reluctor.

A built 4l65e (5 planetary gears vs 4) could hold up but the weight of the Yukon doesn't help as they are still only so strong

I'd look into an lq9 (escalade and Silverado ss trucks) . Stock 6.0 l, iron block with 345 hp and would drop right in. Tons of options out there just depends on budget and goals.

That ls2 and 4 speed could be made to work (it had a 4l70 which is even better than the 4l65e) and a few minor tweaks via the cam sensor and reluctor . ( lingenfelter makes a controller that is plug n play for this swap) so it can be done.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I owned a 2007 2500HD NBS had the 6.0L iron block (non VVT) with a 6 speed detuned to pass emissions below 2200 rpm, came to life about 3500-4000 rpm..

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
personally, id find a LQ9, rebuild the 4l60e with some better, put some torque management in the tune and run it. they are not easy to come by as much any more but for almost 100 hp more over the 5.3, its hard to beat and will drop right in without mods. the 4l60 should be fine with the TQ management in place. OR find an LQ4 and do a few mods to it to hit the 350ish hp, that wouldnt take much. the biggest thing is your after decent fuel mileage and reliability. running something other than a stock LS2 or LS3 means both of those things will drop as the miles rack up compared to a stocker.

realistically, the 100hp increase you both will feel will be like you put a turbo on the damn thing.

thats just my opinion on it though, "opinions will vary" :D

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
^^^^what he said. LQ9 will feel like you slapped a blower on your tired 5.3.

So I'd run, LQ9, long tubes, electric fans, good CAI, and a good quiet exhaust system. Those mods along will net the motor 400fwhp. Put a shift kit and servos in a fresh 60e, leave tq management in the tune and you're golden. For your goals and purposes that's a cheap route to get a fun reliable rig. 80E is unnecessary at that power level and usage.

ltr450ryder

Jul 12, 2012
racine WI
4L80 has been proven to rob maybe 10hp at the wheels compared to a 60.

I skipped all those and went TH400 :happy2:

This is true but they hate how long the first gear is in the 80e compared to the 60e.

I'd say go 80e because my 408 killed enough 60/65/70e fully built Trans then went 80e never had a problem after that.