Engine hours reset??

J_Stone06

Wasn't me...🥴
Oct 13, 2012
Nowhere, KS
So I've always had weird electrical "ticks" with my truck( radio will squelch every once in a while, etc..) so a couple days ago I jumped in and started the truck. First thing I noticed was my TPMS light telling me I had 2 low tires, but I went through the rest of the info and it now shows my engine hours as like 130 hours, when before it was like 4k-ish hours...any ideas why it would reset? Is it like engine oil life, fuel filter life where you can actually reset it? I held it down the check mark to see if it would reset again and nothing...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I remember an issue with some of the earlier models resetting the engine hours that may or may not have been fixed with an update. I think it may have something to do with the battery voltage dropping to low when cranking and the hours would reset.

I don't remember hearing about it on one as new as yours though

J_Stone06

Wasn't me...🥴
Oct 13, 2012
Nowhere, KS
I remember an issue with some of the earlier models resetting the engine hours that may or may not have been fixed with an update. I think it may have something to do with the battery voltage dropping to low when cranking and the hours would reset.

I don't remember hearing about it on one as new as yours though
Definitely odd and so far it is staying that way...not the end of the world, just didn't know if it was a tell tale sign of pending ECM failure or something else anyone might have experienced.

Leadfoot

Needs Bigger Tires!
Dec 27, 2006
Western MA
www.matpa.org
I could be wrong (it's happened before), but I thought there was a post on the "old site" about Engine hours resetting on the early year classic trucks as well. 2001+
Not sure if they ever found out why (at least I don't remember seeing an explanation).

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I haven't seen it myself but I do know of someone that had it happen on a 2006 1/2 ton truck. I also know he had various self induced electrical issues at various times so it wouldnt surprise me if if it was a voltage issue

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Mine reset the engine hours one cold winter, had cranked pretty hard without the heater plugged in. I'd say it's a voltage drop issue, but nothing else reset on the truck

ChevyMax56

Jun 29, 2015
SE Kansas
i had this happen also on my 04.5. found it odd but it hasn't ever happened again and never looked in to it. mine was around 6000 hours when it happened. thinking back on it that might of been around the time my alternator failed. so the low voltage thing makes sense to me. thanks for some clarity.

J_Stone06

Wasn't me...🥴
Oct 13, 2012
Nowhere, KS
Definitely odd for sure. Is the gauge cluster just a readout of what the computer tells it or is it it's own entity that tracks hours, etc.. separately?

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Definitely odd for sure. Is the gauge cluster just a readout of what the computer tells it or is it it's own entity that tracks hours, etc.. separately?

The cluster, at least through 2006/2007 classic, tracks the odometer and hours separately. The only thing it reads from the ECU is oil life and fuel filter life. I would not be surprised if the 2007+ is similar.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

J_Stone06

Wasn't me...🥴
Oct 13, 2012
Nowhere, KS
The cluster, at least through 2006/2007 classic, tracks the odometer and hours separately. The only thing it reads from the ECU is oil life and fuel filter life. I would not be surprised if the 2007+ is similar.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
Sweet. Thanks