Engine coolant temp

Lb7joezay

Feb 18, 2015
Not sure if this is operating coolant temperature. I live in Houston and temperature outside was 99 and it’s humid out here.
5ea9915ae2c5c0ea5a41cb28f9d28517.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lb7joezay

Feb 18, 2015
Thanks! Just making sure when cruising at 70 it’ll be at 190

sneaky98gt

Nov 5, 2013
I just recently changed my thermostats out on my LB7. Well, like 4 months ago. But before, it took quite some time to heat up, and never really got above 165-170. With the new OEM / AC Delco thermostats, it quickly gets up to 190-195, and stays there in every driving condition I've been in so far. Hot, cold, freeway, around town, etc. Always 190-195.

So I'd say your 196 is right on the money.

Also, my in-dash gauge measures like 20+ degrees warmer than it actually is.

Reactions: Lb7joezay

Lb7joezay

Feb 18, 2015
I just recently changed my thermostats out on my LB7. Well, like 4 months ago. But before, it took quite some time to heat up, and never really got above 165-170. With the new OEM / AC Delco thermostats, it quickly gets up to 190-195, and stays there in every driving condition I've been in so far. Hot, cold, freeway, around town, etc. Always 190-195.

So I'd say your 196 is right on the money.

Also, my in-dash gauge measures like 20+ degrees warmer than it actually is.

Thanks. Not bad then I appreciate you telling me this I just put arp studs replace thermos water pump and etc on my lly so far everything is running smooth

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
Going to bring this thread back to life instead of starting a new one. Whats the ideal temp for a diesel engine to run at for efficiency sake? I put a new thermostats in my truck last mouth to see if it could get the truck to warm up quicker to help with a cylinder thats a bit low on compression. Needless to say, it doeent really warm up faster, it just gets hotter. Cruising down the interstate this time of year it used to be about 170-175 Degrees and now its 195. I think I prefer the old thermostats since my underhood temp/air intake temp where lower and my cooling system has a bit more time to dissipate heat when under a big load than normal. I would like some thoughts on the matter.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I noticed when I put in new ac delcos that they didn't open until 10 degrees hotter than there rated temp. I used to cruise at 185 and I now cruise at 195 also. That said, 195 won't hurt a thing imo.

In my experience, diesels tend to get there best mpg's right on the edge of overheating. A good example is 6.5 diesel's, with 180 stats they tend to lose 2-4 mpg's vs the stock 195's, a few tried 205's abd found they could pick up another .5-2 mpg's over the 195's. The problem was 205's put you right on the edge of overheating so if you had any issue, you would lose a head gasket.

NevadaLLY

Adam B
Feb 24, 2019
Reno, NV
Going to bring this thread back to life instead of starting a new one. Whats the ideal temp for a diesel engine to run at for efficiency sake? I put a new thermostats in my truck last mouth to see if it could get the truck to warm up quicker to help with a cylinder thats a bit low on compression. Needless to say, it doeent really warm up faster, it just gets hotter. Cruising down the interstate this time of year it used to be about 170-175 Degrees and now its 195. I think I prefer the old thermostats since my underhood temp/air intake temp where lower and my cooling system has a bit more time to dissipate heat when under a big load than normal. I would like some thoughts on the matter.
Maybe you had lower temp t-stat or one stuck open. I always recommend putting new t-stats in boiling water to measure their open point and at what temp.