EFIlive cal/flash LB7 unlock question

DmaxSquarebody

Glutton for punishment
Nov 19, 2019
NW Florida
I have a factory locked E54 ecm OS 15094441 that I am considering running the key search function on with my flashscan v2. Anybody tried this before? Must I license the controller before running the search? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

BlkMax

Sep 1, 2008
Wasilla, AK
If it is locked with a factory tune, you may need to send it to SoCal or someone else to have it unlocked. I had issues with tuning my LB7 ECM's until I started flashing them on the bench vs in the truck. I have not had a "locking" issue since I started with the bench flash.

FYI I have purchased a "used" ECM from a dealer which they installed, flashed, and it was not the problem so they removed the ECM and sold it on eBay. I sent it back because it was "locked" from the dealer flashing process.

I don't know if that is your issue, but LB7 ECM's can be fussy when flashed in the truck.

DmaxSquarebody

Glutton for punishment
Nov 19, 2019
NW Florida
Thanks for the reply. I was getting a 0333 security error code. I went to efilive knowledge base and found a suggestion to check "assume lock is defective" or something to that effect and "try alternate keys" and I got it to read and save. BTW I am using an efi connection bench harness that I already had so I'm sure that helps. I was worried because I've read that the lb7 controllers are easy to brick. Next I'd like to install the dsp5 custom os and start learning a few tunes.

BlkMax

Sep 1, 2008
Wasilla, AK
Like I said earlier, the guys at SoCal can fix ECM's which have been "locked". There are also others that do this service, but they are probably not vendors on this site. I have had to have them fix 3 for me over the years. I'm to the point where I keep a spare... but have not had the problem since I started using the bench harness.

Call up Guy and see if he can help you out before you just decide it is truly a bricked ECM.

DmaxSquarebody

Glutton for punishment
Nov 19, 2019
NW Florida
No, I'm good to go on it. It read and saved after I tried the alternate key method. This thing is just a spare I picked up dirt cheap to learn on. Looks like I got a good deal.