EFI LIVE HP gains/levels

mattv

LINETRASH
Dec 21, 2013
Phx
I'm new to EFI...I understand you can custom build a tune, but what are max HP gains u can design? Is it usually a 5 Lev tune? Who pre-designs the hottest tunes? Ah hell, just tell me everything and anything u guys care to about EFI. Thanks fellas.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Use da search:angel:

Lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of info already out there....;)

:hug:

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007
HP level depends on the parts on the truck. Over 1500HP has been done using EFI Live on a Duramax, but 300hp may be the max HP if your parts are not up to snuff.

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Efi live: ultimate tuning tool(s)
Not user friendly, actually it is for what it is, but not for the common man or feint of heart, the V2 suite software is successfully used by Gods that walk among us...:D

Auto-cal: efi live specific, separate, programable hand held flash tuner that works with the V2 programming/diagnostic software, it is only compatable with the V2 that originally programs it, it has the ability to data log, view live data, and be reprogramed via email from the original tuner for any tuning tweaks and, it is casually and successfully used by common men:joker:

DSP-5 switch:
Stands for Duramax switchable programming
Used with efi live, a switch that's wired into the ECM and allows for "on the fly tuning" you can switch between 5 different tunes for varying power levels or duties,

Out of the box, off the lot...Your truck can "handle" what's known as stock trans tuning pretty well with a few bolt on supporting mods like a lift pump, exhaust and maybe a shift kit and some gauges are always nice, and can net you up to around 130+hp. Then if you've got a built trans, built trans tuning can net 210+hp with a few other bolt on's like a down pipe, possibly a egr delete to name a couple

You can add a bigger or multiple turbos, injectors, cam etc etc, efi live will be able to optimize the tuning required to maximize horsepower, efficiency and drivability....and with fortune on your side (and in your pockets) successfully tweaked and tuned factory built LBZ's are surviving 650+whp more and more frequently! all due to EFI Live and the Guru's that eat, live, sleep and breathe it

Build the engine and the sky's the limit, all on efi live, all with one auto cal and tunes from a trusted tuner if that's the route you wanna take, or you can create your own with a V2 ....

As Rob said (btw, one of the top tuners in the nation) efi live programming doesn't really have a power potential cap, for the common man, so you can get anything you need, you can create your own tunes with a V2 but I wouldn't suggest it.

There's terabytes of info on the net about efi live, it works across many platforms...

Last edited:

BobbyBDirtyMax

US Marine Corps Retired
Feb 15, 2013
Madisonville, KY
Efi live: ultimate tuning tool(s)
Not user friendly, actually it is for what it is, but not for the common man, the V2 suite software is successfully used by Gods that walk among us...:D

Auto-cal: efi live specific, separate, programable hand held flash tuner that works with the V2 programming/diagnostic software, it is only compatable with the V2 that originally programs it, it has the ability to data log, view live data, and be reprogramed via email from the original tuner for any tuning tweaks and, it is casually and successfully used by common men:joker:

Out of the box, off the lot...Your truck can "handle" what's known as stock trans tuning pretty well with a few bolt on supporting mods like a lift pump, exhaust and maybe a shift kit and some gauges are always nice, and can net you up to around 130+hp. Then if you've got a built trans, built trans tuning can net 210+hp with a few other bolt on's like a down pipe, possibly a egr delete to name a couple

You can add a bigger or multiple turbos, injectors, cam etc etc, efi live will be able to optimize the tuning required to maximize horsepower, efficiency and drivability....

Build the engine and the sky's the limit, all on efi live, all with one auto cal and tunes from a trusted tuner if that's the route you wanna take, or you can create your own with a V2 ....

As Rob said (btw, one of the top tuners in the nation) efi live programming doesn't really have a power potential cap, for the common man, so you can get anything you need, you can create your own tunes with a V2 but I wouldn't suggest it.

There's terabytes of info on the net about efi live, it works across many platforms...

X2 on this, great post man :thumb:
If I were you I'd start by contacting a proven tuner such as Rob at Adrenaline Truck Performance or Steve at SSDiesel Tuning as well as Henry From Creatures of the Night and Tony (Moonshine) or DuramaxTuner.com just to name a few. customer service is awesome with anyone of them and they can help you with any questions you may have but also do your own research and that'll help you talk with them to better understand it all. All in all, Efi Live is Ultimate;)

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Important side note....

Buying the full EFI Live V2 suite software comes with advantages....
Tech support from EFI Live, and your tuner or EFI Live vendor, also, tuning classes are available in select locations across the nation from time to time to teach you how to navigate and use the software.

Having the V2 also allows you to buy individual tunes or groups of tunes from multiple tuning professionals, you aren't limited to one like when using an Auto-cal, you can receive and load tunes from anyone, but choose wisely, don't let any ya-hoo sell or give ya a tune, and don't trust just any tune from the net either...:hug:

The full V2 software is much more expensive, but infinitely more capable and useful for someone looking to try multiple tuners tuning or even try tuning for yourself

mattv

LINETRASH
Dec 21, 2013
Phx
Thanks for the great responses...I have done a il research, but wasn't sure of its potential.

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
Thanks for the great responses...I have done a il research, but wasn't sure of its potential.

The sky is the limit.

Many guys choose Efi Live because we are constantly adding parts to our trucks and making changes. Different combinations of hard parts require different tuning, this is something that a box "tuner" or "programmer" does not do. Get Efi Live for a stock truck and enjoy it. Add a turbo down the road, just have your tunes updated, want injectors? Throw them in and get to rippin with a small tuning change.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
The Yardstick has been the 12 second truck with minor bolt-ons and built transmission. There have been more bolt-on 12 second Dmaxes using EFILive than any other tuning method.

But if you want to go nuts, I went 197.xxx mph at Bonneville in a 7000lb Duramax using EFILive. So fast it started to peel the window trim off. Others have run 9 second ETs with it as well, and most serious sled-pullers are running it too.

One thing to note is EFILive is 2 different things. A tune builder/flasher, and a diagnostic tool. For a Dmax, it's the best at both. Even if you don't do a lot of tuning yourself, it's worth it for the diagnostic capabilities.

SSchmi5519

LLY Cult Leader
Oct 19, 2008
Arizona
X2, one of the MAIN benefits of the EFI Live software is the powerful diagnostic capabilities. Not only being able to make changes but to be able to see that, 1) they are working, and 2) what else is being affected by the changes.

Without that, we are running blind.

mattv

LINETRASH
Dec 21, 2013
Phx
Sounds stellar...Rob I'll either be using some of ur tunes or Steve if I'm back in Phx when I'm ready I'll stop by ur shop. I've heard good about bophyuz! And thanks again fellerz...I can't friggn wait till my rig is ready!!