ECM replacement

Mogman

May 3, 2020
Papalote, TX
I have looked around and it looks like buying the V2 would not be much more than sending off the ECM and TCM for tuning, and then I can tweak it as needed.
I am doing a transplant (LMM) and have some questions.

1, With the V2 and its two licenses will I be able to do everything needed as far as tuning, deleting the items I do not want for stand alone operation, pollution control, DTC etc.

2, If I read correctly if I replace the ECM I need a new license, yes?

I am not interested in performance enhancements at this time but the donor truck has an aftermarket performance turbo, intake and exhaust, will I be able to tell if it has been tuned and the if it has can I return it to stock?
THANKS!

Mogman

May 3, 2020
Papalote, TX
Thanks, the re-power will be in a 1986 vehicle with an emissions exemption, not sure on the law as far as re-power though.

Mogman

May 3, 2020
Papalote, TX
Just curious, is the basic V2 setup able to program DSP5? If so then it is a total wash as far as cost compared to what I have been quoted for stand alone ECM and TCM programming with the DSP5 option.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Yes the V2 can flash in DSP tunes. It is not really V2 dependent thought. An Autocal will flash in a DSP tune also. The benefits of a V2 is it allows you to make all the changes you need to get it running right vs paying someone else to do it for you and shipping you the tunes.

I prefer the V2 because I like to have the control and I love to experiment. Others don't have the knowledge or time to do it so they get an autocal and have their tuner figure out the tuning.

If you haven't already checked out their site you should do so. Plenty of good information there

https://www.efilive.com/flashscan

Mogman

May 3, 2020
Papalote, TX
Thanks for the info, there is one more question that I did not see on the site.
Assuming my donor has been tuned is it possible he/she has it locked preventing me from tuning the ECM? and if so will I lose a license trying to tune it? Can the lock be overridden or would I simply have to get a "new" ECM?

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
If its locked you won't be able to read the tune. Only full flash over it. You will need to use a license either way. Once your V2 is linked to that ECM you can load it as many times as you want. If the ecm gets bricked trying you may be able to get ahold of Efi live and get your license replaced. Efi live is pretty good with recovery though

Even if your tune wont over write the existing you can always take it to the dealership or anyone with a Tech2 to flash it to stock and you won't loose any of your licenses

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
Isn’t it easier to do a stand alone with an LBZ ecm? I thought I read somewhere the LMM ecm is a pain to get to work right stand alone