E78 tune problem

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Buddies truck, 2013 Chevy 2500 6.0L

He's been having some trouble with O2 codes, knock sensor faults and something else. I haven't had time to personally diagnose it, but trying to give him direction. He took it somewhere and they told him bad ECM (myself and another tech don't agree, but neither of us have touched this truck). So he bought a supposed blank one online, it's an ACDelco part.

I have the stock tune file from this truck from years ago when he first bought it, and told him I'd flash it for him. Went to his house, swapped the new ECM in real quick and now I'm stuck. EFI Live won't let me flash it OR license it. Comes up with error code "$0540", says "Operating system mismatch between file (12654014) and controller (12662407)".

I've never had a problem switching operating systems before, and the VIN on the new ECM reads all zeros, so why would it matter what OS? Is there a way around this? Use v7.5 program instead of v8?

It'll probably be end of the week or next before I get a chance to see the truck again.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
on the V8 program did you properly load the configuration files for that controller? if you just load the tune but not the config file for the ecm it will give you that error

may also be running into an issue similar to this one

Last edited:

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Load the config files to where? My v2 is all up to date, that's all I've ever done.

Bunch of stuff in that thread I've never dealt with, but it does sound like the ECM he bought might not work if it's too new? Wtf this doesn't make sense. What are people doing if they roast an ECM on this gen 4 stuff? Seems by a couple posts that even GM's software wouldn't do it either.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
under the BBX button there is a window for loading the configuration files. you click on the tune button (F3) and then the "+" button on the top right and choose the ECM and TCM. then program the configuration files onto the V2

this is of course only relevant for loading from the V2 and not when doing it from a laptop

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Ok, I always try to flash tunes in pass through mode with the laptop.

I guess I'll try to get more info on this ECM to find out if it's somehow the wrong one.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Well more reading indicates these late model ECMs are real turds. Is there a way to tell what is currently programmed into the ECM? Tried to read the file, but EFI says the OS isn't mapped or something...

Buddy said the place he bought it listed as fitting his truck specifically, not just as an e78. So I'm not understanding why it would have the OS for something like a car already in there.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I think the issue is it need to be flashed With an OE Calibration by a dealer or equivalent tool first.
If I recall, there is just enough enough information so that an OE file can be loaded.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I think the issue is it need to be flashed With an OE Calibration by a dealer or equivalent tool first.
If I recall, there is just enough enough information so that an OE file can be loaded.
and the dealer tool doesn't have the checks and balances thet efi live does so the chance of bricking it is higher. I think that code is telling you that you run a high risk of bricking so it's not going to flash it.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I may be wrong but i dont think EFI Live can flash a 100% blank ECM on a newer truck. if you have access to a MDI2, you can do it all by just paying for an SPS on acdelcotds.com. it will program the ecm back to stock and then you can flash what ever you want with efi live.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
I'm not positive this ECM is truly "blank", but since there are 2 segments in the calibration that EFI doesn't flash, I can't change from whatever OS is currently on there to the one I need to use. I also can't find any solid info on how to tell what's in there based on the OS