Dyno setup

Hnkstang50

Mar 28, 2016
NJ
I'm going to be getting my truck on a dyno hopefully soon. I want to see before and after numbers. Going to be putting lds 63.5 wheel and housing on my stock charger. When looking for a local dyno does it need to be setup different putting a diesel on vrs a gas car. Just wanted to make sure incase the place I find doesn't do alot of diesel trucks

When they do a pull will they need to eas into the throttle so I won't downshift or is there a certain rpm to start at that should downshift. I have OD lockout.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Ideally, hook up a laptop with EFI and lock the trans into 4th gear with the DVT controls. Or you can write a trans tune that won't allow a shift to 5th, and will only start in 4th gear when you tap it over to T/H mode.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Does flashing a new trans tune reset the taps? I wanted to go out and do some testing, but didnt want want to flog it without the shifts being learned?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Does flashing a new trans tune reset the taps? I wanted to go out and do some testing, but didnt want want to flog it without the shifts being learned?

If you cal flash it, it won’t clear the TAPS

Last edited:

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH

If you do a cal flash, it won't reset anything. Full flash will.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Some dynos won't do diesels because they are afraid of smoke sooting up their dyno room. Every time I have dynoed a Duramax at a random dyno in CA, I spend 20 minutes convincing them my tuning barely puffs when you stab the throttle then cleans up. And every time, they are like "wow, that is so clean, I have never seen a diesel run without smoke!" Fricking coal rolling tools ruining everything for me :baby:

I like to write a trans tune to lock it into 4th and 5th in Tow/Haul, then pop it into T/H on the dyno. If you don't have the power to pull in 5th, use the overdrive lockout to pull in 4th.

I prefer the trans tune to DVT because I have never been able to log while using DVT, it always kicks DVT off. Just seems to work better with a trans tune, IMO.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
not if you do as i posted, TAPS will not change.

Interesting. I have only ever full flashed a different operating system in so every time I full flashed a TCM it reset the adapts. I assumed it was because of the full flash. I'll have to try full flashing the same tune back in and see. I'm curious now. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
That doesn't make sense, why wouldn't it reset the TAPS if you full flashed it? Or does it just activate the fast learn?

you guys may be right but i swear thats what we did on my truck when we did the TC lock up addition when it first came out in beta and steve did it all. i was paranoid about loosing the adapts i had already but we pulled the tune in my tcm, made the change, then flashed it back in and lost nothing. i could swear he said it was a full flash but that was a long while ago.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
I'll bet you were just doing a cal flash. How long did it take to flash do you remember?

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I'll bet you were just doing a cal flash. How long did it take to flash do you remember?

wasnt quick cause it was hot outside and we had to sit in the truck with everything shut.... :roflmao: i know we cal-flashed each time we adjusted the lock up parameters.

EDIT: Steve text me back, we did in fact cal-flash it. ignore my retardedness :D

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
Is there a big difference in power results between dyno in 4th and 5th gear? I got a chance to dyno my truck at a car show, so I did. I ran it in 5th from about 1800-3800RPM to keep from being too smokey. It would be kind of interesting to see if the power read higher in a lower gear, the dyno operator wanted to run it in 3rd gear, but I figured the pull would be to short or the truck would shift.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
5th would be higher, and arguably more accurate, but those net very high wheel speeds. Most everyone dynos in 4th, HP would be a touch lower but tq will be up (if the engine has enough load to make full boost)

Hnkstang50

Mar 28, 2016
NJ
I want to be able to log the pull. I currently have an autocal but no vin license for it to my truck. I would need to get/buy a 4th gear tune and buy a license to to get it in my truck. Is rolling into the throttle and preventing down shifting an option or do I need to get a 4th gear tune in the truck?

I did find that xdp is only about an hour from me so I will be reaching out to them for some dyno time when I'm ready

Hnkstang50

Mar 28, 2016
NJ
Finally got my numbers. Unfortunately my printer isn't working but I will get the Dyno graph pics posted when I can. The Dyno was an all wheel drive mustang Dyno. The truck did 462 hp and 820 tq before the 63.5 turbo wheel and 484 hp 898 tq after. That's 22 hp and 78 tq gain with no other changes. This was even on the same tank of fuel. Before the turbo wheel it lost 3-4 psi after peak boost. With the new wheel it holds 31-32 psi all through the rpms. I'm way happy with the results.