Duramax to avoid

Tmatt

Oct 19, 2012
New to the site and so far so good. I am sure this question has been asked but I am having problems searching the site. I have owned several Powerjokes and a couple Cummins but have yet to own a Duramax. I finally decided to step up to a Duramax and am wondering if there are particular year models to avoid and which ones would be the best. Thanks for any help.

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
06-early 07 LBZ is the one to have in my opinion for many reasons but the six speed Alli is so nice. I love my LB7 but 01-early 04 models are more prone to injector failure as the injectors themselves are underneath the valve covers making them time consuming to get to when the time arises. Some of us have gotten used to the swap job but for a new guy if say to avoid em. And to be clear I still love my LB7

bevi

Jan 17, 2010
Nh
iv had a lbz and now have a lmm i like them both. From what iv gatherd llys are also good except they have a heating prob when towing heavy loads and lb7s eat up injectors. oh and welcome to DD alota smart and helpfull people on here.

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
Theses guys hit the nail on the head. All good trucks but the injector issues with LB7's can be a pain. LLYs have been known to heat up although mine has never given me trouble. LBZs with the Alli 6 spd are the way to go in my opinion unless you want new body style

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
05 LLY is probably the most reliable truck. 06-07 LLY or LBZ is probably the best truck for the money. LMM is pretty much an LBZ with a DPF, bigger EGR and a new body style and different turbo. If I was in the market for a truck I personally would be looking anything between 06-10.

jacobdewey

This won't last long...
Jan 14, 2011
Easiest one to just jump in and drive, while getting great mileage, with no mods....LB7. LB7's are also a pain to work on sometimes, but I love mine. I also have an 05 LLY that is ok too. :eek:

firefighter13

I'm Batman!
Feb 3, 2010
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Love my LB7, and as long as the one you look at has had the injectors done recently I think you would be safe. Good deals out there on the LB7's if money is a concern, or if you want to spend less on the truck to save for mods. That being said, if I was going to buy a used Dmax for myself, I'd be going for an LBZ hands down.

Tmatt

Oct 19, 2012
Thanks for all of the input. I'll definately keep it in mind while I'm looking for my dually.