Duramax Monotherm Pistons

Trippin

SoCal Diesel
Aug 10, 2006
Just got back from a week at SEMA and found a set of Mahle Monotherm Duramax pistons sitting on my desk.

There are 5 sets total in existence at this time. These 5 sets were divided among a few shops for testing purposes. These sets were cut from billet. Duramax Monotherms will not be available to the general public any time before next June or July. This assumes that the forging dies get produced in a timely fashion.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you have regarding these pistons.

Guy

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
What do Mahle cast pistons, Mahle race cast pistons, Mahle forged, and these monotherm pistons weigh?

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
You guys are dreaming! Since we all know Mcrat has been a Guinea Pig HAS been and since he is close buy I wonder IF this would bring him out of retirement? Or is Casper long gone and just gathering dust fading away as a has-been a wann-a-be could-a-been a should-a-been a never-a.gonna-be!

:roflmao:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
You guys are dreaming! Since we all know Mcrat has been a Guinea Pig HAS been and since he is close buy I wonder IF this would bring him out of retirement? Or is Casper long gone and just gathering dust fading away as a has-been a wann-a-be could-a-been a should-a-been a never-a.gonna-be!

:roflmao:

its always worth a try! :D

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
I hear ya and I know I'm digging a huge hole for myself. :D

I do imagine "if" they are for testing they certainly need to be put into a very competitive truck for extensive real time testing. Assuming that they are for competition only ,well the price will probably dictate that its going to be somebody hard core not your average weekend racer and daily driver tester. Since I have no dog in th fight I hope for the sake of those seriously interested that go to someone who will be open and honest on their results. Certainly you don't want someone to test them will be looking to 'protect' someone or something.

Hopefully although probably it will be a report back to me scenario only! Hopefully you'll get someone that is non-partial. Pat has proven to be that but the hard-core racer? I donna as of late! :D

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I hear ya and I know I'm digging a huge hole for myself. :D

I do imagine "if" they are for testing they certainly need to be put into a very competitive truck for extensive real time testing. Assuming that they are for competition only ,well the price will probably dictate that its going to be somebody hard core not your average weekend racer and daily driver tester. Since I have no dog in th fight I hope for the sake of those seriously interested that go to someone who will be open and honest on their results. Certainly you don't want someone to test them will be looking to 'protect' someone or something.

Hopefully although probably it will be a report back to me scenario only! Hopefully you'll get someone that is non-partial. Pat has proven to be that but the hard-core racer? I donna as of late! :D

Lol i completely agree.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
What about that new land speed record?

The first year we were at Bonneville, we ran an abused engine that was hurt before we made it there. Our "Bville" engine wasn't in it yet.

We went faster than the Ford did at that time, even though we had a 175mph tech limit. We sustained 174 mph for a flying mile twice in a row. Problem was, the 174 was in the second mile one day, and on the first mile the other day, so the record was lower than it would have been if could have controlled the top speed better.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
We also need a way to REALLY control the Allison at speeds over 120mph. It freaks out at high speeds and we lose the ability to control what gear we are in.

Allison Eng'g Dept was going to work with me on it, but our wires got crossed, and it never happened.

mainer

Nov 11, 2008
We also need a way to REALLY control the Allison at speeds over 120mph. It freaks out at high speeds and we lose the ability to control what gear we are in.

Allison Eng'g Dept was going to work with me on it, but our wires got crossed, and it never happened.

are you running 5th much over 120?

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
are you running 5th much over 120?

I'm running a 6-sp with 2.50 gears and a 4500rpm engine.

What happens, is the tires break loose when the boost comes on, the trans upshifts, and I can't force it back down. Once I'm past a certain speed (not really sure what speed it is) I can no longer downshift.

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
I'm running a 6-sp with 2.50 gears and a 4500rpm engine.

What happens, is the tires break loose when the boost comes on, the trans upshifts, and I can't force it back down. Once I'm past a certain speed (not really sure what speed it is) I can no longer downshift.

im guessing some sort of manual valve body is out of the question....