Dry Sump for the Duramax.

COMP461

Diesel Pro
Apr 29, 2008
Aledo Texas
I started this thread to show the Dmax with a dry sump, Ill point anyone to get good Autoverti pumps for 100 cents on the dollar

I have always had Dry sumps on my diesel engines because they give better control of oil , It keeps the blow by from blowing oil out of every seam because I have bad ring seal
My current set up pulls about 45inches of vacuum at idle

I built this pan , so anyone can do this

IMAG0150-4.jpg

here it is in the car

IMAG0303.jpg

zpfile000_zps98e344d7.jpg

here is then one for the Cummins I had done 10 years ago

100_0014-2.jpg

drysump1.jpg

DSCN1519.jpg

here is that motor on the dyno 10 years ago . my first complete diesel build
270489_214156721954200_3942039_n_zpscw4amcjs.jpg

here is the Duramax adapter to put out in the motor , this one has 2 outlets fore an internal pump a dry sump only has one

P1040911.jpg

here is the parts and diagram of a dry sump system

plumbing.gif

the pumps

CP031.jpg

what's inside

CP033s.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007
I have always had Dry sumps on my diesel engines for two reasons , It keeps the blow by from blowing oil out of every seam

Umm, so the benefit of a dry sump is not allowing blow bye to push oil out of the engine from your words. Please explain to us how having an internal or external oil pump changes blow by pressurizing the engine.

COMP461

Diesel Pro
Apr 29, 2008
Aledo Texas
Umm, so the benefit of a dry sump is not allowing blow bye to push oil out of the engine. Please explain to us how having an internal or external oil pump changes blow bye pressurizing the crankcase.

my Dry sump system pulls 3 to 5 inches of vacuum on the crank case at Idle and around 10 to 12 inches at full power.

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Because he builds pro stock motors

Because he is the best engine builder in the business!!! Nobody else knows how. Greg as soon as I figure out how (yes I'm computer stupid but I will admit it when I need help) I'm going to link your rant about cheating to the yellow bullet tread so all the people over ther can see what you have to say about them.

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
I could only hope!

I can only wish for that day! Be sure to wear them knee high socks so I can pull them up over your head with your skid mark stained speedo's. Lmao

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Yep I'm the problem

Not the fact that you post pictures from ten years ago about nothing other than to blow your own horn. Or, lie about how fast your car is because it makes you fill all warm and fuzzy inside. Or take credit for what others have done. Or talk about people and things you know nothing about.

baddaddition

Mar 10, 2013
I like those little pumps. Where did you say a fella can get them?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

baddaddition

Mar 10, 2013
Essentially the gases that are in the crank are a good combo for explosion.. Correct? Hints why the big pro tractors tend to sperate themselves at the crank case at high rpm levels and all the heat built. Or I believe. So could a fella push an inert gas through the crankcase at a level higher than the oil level into a catch can, such as nitrogen? At a very low pressure rate just to neutralize the pressure and ride the engine of all gases. it would have to be introduced I to the motor at a similar rate to the engines rpms. Just thinking out loud. Or would that be a terrible idea?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
my Dry sump system pulls 3 to 5 inches of vacuum on the crank case at Idle and around 10 to 12 inches at full power.

Did you just hear that somewhere, oh Great Greg?
Is this another example of "learning by osmosis" just regurgitating info youre around and being just a driver...or what?

Pretty sure I read somewhere that the stock pump in the stock GM wet sump design pulls roughly 5" at idle too Greg, and matches your "@ full power" vacuum claim of 10-12" as well...there is a minimum and ideal requirement/ratio that needs to be adhered to...GM didn't mess that up and the stock pump can and does produce more volume than required, by like 125%??? Which is why we can tap and run bypass systems and centrifuges, no problem...I'm pretty sure the Melling, Dmax performance replacement pump, can out perform your pumps vacuum #'s set up with just a spring swap...lol

Im pretty sure the main benifits for a dry sump system are being able to mount the engine lower, to attain a lower center of gravity, less windage and pumping losses and technically unlimited volume, perfect evap control, as well as precision flow and heat control...but what do I know...nuthin

And that's mainly why I am here Greg, to learn. I used to get excited when you'd post this chit, thinking some valuable knowledge would be passed along...but I always click out of the thread to find myself disappointed and concerned...I truly hope you can find d someone to post for you, like you find people to build your bucket...then at least there might be something actually mechanically sound and intelligible associated with that hideous avatar and blow hard braggart signature

Last edited:

RickDLance

Feb 14, 2007
Im pretty sure the main benifits for a dry sump system are being able to mount the engine lower, to attain a lower center of gravity, less windage and pumping losses and technically unlimited volume, perfect evap control, as well as precision flow and heat control...but what do I know...nuthin

Ding, ding, ding!!! We have a winner.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
And I keep seeing the word "design" thrown around, but have yet to see a resemblance of any sort of "design" at all...bending/welding up some tin and a few things isn't a design, its a high school metal shop week project...

Let's see the inside of the pan, accompanied by an intelligible breakdown of the how and why the baffles work BEACAUSE OF THE DESIGN! Like each baffled area is xx volume because, it needs to move x volume per port per secocond at this load/perssure, and, the ports are this size because, the total volume is xyz because...etc

But I'd almost guarantee the one on the Dmax posted above is just open, and not baffled and isolating pickup points under critical lube/moving parts of the crank

For the love of Chrysler, this gets old

COMP461

Diesel Pro
Apr 29, 2008
Aledo Texas
This pan is fully baffled and when I get home from the track tonight I will show a few pictures.
Maybe then I'll also tell you about the seals that I put in to retain vacuum for the front and rear main seal and maybe the part numbers of those inexpensive double lipe vitron seals

COMP461

Diesel Pro
Apr 29, 2008
Aledo Texas
And I keep seeing the word "design" thrown around, but have yet to see a resemblance of any sort of "design" at all...bending/welding up some tin and a few things isn't a design, its a high school metal shop week project...

Let's see the inside of the pan, accompanied by an intelligible breakdown of the how and why the baffles work BEACAUSE OF THE DESIGN! Like each baffled area is xx volume because, it needs to move x volume per port per secocond at this load/perssure, and, the ports are this size because, the total volume is xyz because...etc

But I'd almost guarantee the one on the Dmax posted above is just open, and not baffled and isolating pickup points under critical lube/moving parts of the crank

For the love of Chrysler, this gets old

Why don't you enlighten us with some of your dry sump oul pans youhave built over the years for the Duramax are for diesels or for anything for that matter.

Utahski

Oct 20, 2008
Northern Utah
Not the fact that you post pictures from ten years ago about nothing other than to blow your own horn. Or, lie about how fast your car is because it makes you fill all warm and fuzzy inside. Or take credit for what others have done. Or talk about people and things you know nothing about.

But........he has a RACE PROGRAM (whatever the hell that really means) And a FAN CLUB (he's the only member)

He just wants people to tell him he's wonderful.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Why don't you enlighten us with some of your dry sump oul pans youhave built over the years for the Duramax are for diesels or for anything for that matter.
Did you design and build that one on your engine?

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
This pan is fully baffled and when I get home from the track tonight I will show a few pictures.
Maybe then I'll also tell you about the seals that I put in to retain vacuum for the front and rear main seal and maybe the part numbers of those inexpensive double lipe vitron seals

while you're posting useless oil pan pics throw up some slips from the track with today's date. Thanks.