LMM: Draining coolant for egr delete

Dstaub22

Jan 29, 2020
Hey everyone, this is my first time on a forum site like this, and the knowledge here is unmatched to anything Ive ever seen. My main reason for coming here is that I have an EGR delete (cold side charge tube and blocking plate) that comes with the coolant reroute hose. I’ve been reading instructions over and over on different sites that say to drain all the coolant. Is there a way I can do the install without draining all the coolant?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Should've seen it 10 years ago...it was amazing.

Moved your thread to LMM section.

Welcome to DD. :)

lutzjk913

May 5, 2010
groveport, ohio
You don’t have to drain it all. Pull the lower hose off and let some come out slowly. A gallon or 2 will be fine.

But also. Depending on the age of the coolant and mileage. It might not be a bad idea to do new coolant or even a coolant flush.

Dstaub22

Jan 29, 2020
You don’t have to drain it all. Pull the lower hose off and let some come out slowly. A gallon or 2 will be fine.

But also. Depending on the age of the coolant and mileage. It might not be a bad idea to do new coolant or even a coolant flush.

So that should make the coolant hose reroute a little cleaner of a job up top?

lutzjk913

May 5, 2010
groveport, ohio
So that should make the coolant hose reroute a little cleaner of a job up top?

Yes. Just don’t pull the lower hose all the way off. Just break it loose and hold onto it. I repeat, do not pull it all the way off.

If you drain 1-2 gallons into a clean container you can re use it. Basically you want to get the coolant level below the top of the engine so you can work.