DPF back exhaust installed, sounds same as stock

DreksDmax

Apr 23, 2019
Shithole Cali
Just like the title says, installed a DPF back exhaust on my 08 this evening and there was no change in sound whatsoever. I am bit confused. I wasn’t expecting super loud since the cat is still on but I didn’t think the DPF would keep it that quiet. I thought for sure without the muffler and bigger piping it would definitely be noticeable. Is this normal? Or is something wrong here?

06gmc

Loud and Heavy
Jun 24, 2017
SWMO
From what I have seen its mostly just for looks. Never driven a stock truck long enough to tell :roflmao:

DreksDmax

Apr 23, 2019
Shithole Cali
As others have said, you're replacing straight tube with straight tube. No major gain other than purely looks.

Strange because I’ve done muffler delete on every vehicle I’ve had and it’s always made a difference. Extremely pissed to say the least. I would do catback but just bought edge

rcr1978

Apr 1, 2007
Spring Creek, NV
Well good thing you didn't buy a intake to then you could of had three worthless pieces of shit :roflmao: Only thing that's going to make a noticeable difference is a real exhaust that's missing some parts and a good tune. I don't want to kick ya while your down but might as well get rid of the edge that was another shit purchase unless you just want to use it for gauges.

DreksDmax

Apr 23, 2019
Shithole Cali
Well good thing you didn't buy a intake to then you could of had three worthless pieces of shit :roflmao: Only thing that's going to make a noticeable difference is a real exhaust that's missing some parts and a good tune. I don't want to kick ya while your down but might as well get rid of the edge that was another shit purchase unless you just want to use it for gauges.

Yea I know I was wanting to take a different route with this one. Just a mild tune and a little sound. One reason I got the edge was for the gauges and just to have a mild tune. But now that I know the Dpf back was useless I’m going to end up selling the edge, doing a DSP5 tune and deleting the DPF. Just wanted to avoid smog headaches this time around but I guess I can’t

7.halfLMM

Mar 21, 2019
Yep when I got my LMM it just had a little muffler axle dump exhaust. And sounded stock as stock could be. Then deleted the DPF and ones like this will forsure make some noise nope. Same. Then took the little muffler of and just ran the CAT and pretty much sounded the same. Deleted the CAT and put just the little muffler on and sounded the same again. I was blown away. So I just run straight pipe now with a over the axle dump. Not to loud just perfect for me.

Side note: another thing that really messed with my head. Was my over the axle dump had a 5 inch tip that was welded on that kind of hung a little low for my liking. So I cut it off and clamped on a 6 inch tip and picked it up a little bit and I completely changed the way the truck sounds. How could 1 inch diameter change it completely?..

DreksDmax

Apr 23, 2019
Shithole Cali
Yep when I got my LMM it just had a little muffler axle dump exhaust. And sounded stock as stock could be. Then deleted the DPF and ones like this will forsure make some noise nope. Same. Then took the little muffler of and just ran the CAT and pretty much sounded the same. Deleted the CAT and put just the little muffler on and sounded the same again. I was blown away. So I just run straight pipe now with a over the axle dump. Not to loud just perfect for me.

Side note: another thing that really messed with my head. Was my over the axle dump had a 5 inch tip that was welded on that kind of hung a little low for my liking. So I cut it off and clamped on a 6 inch tip and picked it up a little bit and I completely changed the way the truck sounds. How could 1 inch diameter change it completely?..

I have no muffler, 5” piping and 6” tip. I know if I get rid of DPF it will definitely make a difference