Double Din radio swap into 01 Silverado?

Mar 20, 2016
I did an search but didn't come up with anything but looking to replace my stock with an double bin (?) stereo with bluetooth, nav, & possible backup? Seen something on youtube that was an pioneer mdxtrax that look like it was using stock? Not looking to do any mods to make it fit if possible? Any suggestions? tks for time and efforts. Here is what i seen:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn8ndn6H3yg

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I remember someone using an 03-07 bezel, and having to cut the area between the radio and hvac unit out, then moving the hvac unit downward. IMO, you cant get out of this without cutting plastic away to fit the radio.

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
If you get a head unit that doesn’t play DVD’s/cd’s it’ll be much thinner and won’t have to cut anything out of the back.

Mar 20, 2016
got a couple estimations, that being having to get another bezel, 1000.00. That is with me not doing it and having it completed via the seller. Gonna do some more research with me doing it and what unit to get? Not sure about just getting an head unit? Would like to have backup so i don't have to get out of truck so much when loading my trailer.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I'm pretty sure Metra sells a dash kit for 01-02 trucks. A project 01 that I bought last fall has a double din with a Metra kit but I haven't pulled it out to see if there was any cutting.

Mar 20, 2016
Another option still is a flip up screen. Then just do a single din install.
hmm, that may be the route? Would i have to modify the current bezel? Flip up screen, any suggestions? I will do some research to educate myself on that. Sounds if it is replacing the current unit with a single din, may be easiest route to go? tks for inputs

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
You shouldn’t have to modify the bezel. Check out crutchfield.com for head units. I’ll be in the same boat soon but I’m not worried about cutting. I’ll be using the Metra bezel.

Mar 20, 2016
You shouldn’t have to modify the bezel. Check out crutchfield.com for head units. I’ll be in the same boat soon but I’m not worried about cutting. I’ll be using the Metra bezel.
i'm going to check metra out..i'd prefer not to modify but i can if need be? thanks. Just looked at web site, i thought maybe this was stero included but this may be the route to go for a double din? thanks agn

Last edited:

Hoser

Jun 19, 2016
Farmington, MN
Metra does make a new dash bezel for your truck to allow you to install a double din stereo. As somebody already previously mentioned, go to Crutchfield.com and order from them. When you order a stereo and add it to your cart it will ask you what install kit you want and every last single piece of equipment screw and instructions will be included so you can install the stereo yourself. Get something that’s simple to operate like the Sony XAV-5000. I have installed several of them and they have Apple CarPlay which is amazing or android auto if you use one of those. Just make sure you get a decent stereo, recently I’ve replaced three cheap stereos because they are so difficult to use for the customer or functions stop working. Most new quality stereos like that Sony I mentioned will come with a new microphone and I always install them right where the visor swivels and you can install a back up camera with it as well, and when wired properly camera will automatically come on and display the view on the stereo when you go into reverse. Same goes for the camera, buy a good camera, I just replaced a super cheap one that was all fogged up starting to come apart and didn’t work at all. The install does take some time, so you might as well put something in there that will last.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
hmm, that may be the route? Would i have to modify the current bezel? Flip up screen, any suggestions? I will do some research to educate myself on that. Sounds if it is replacing the current unit with a single din, may be easiest route to go? tks for inputs

thats what i did in my 02. heck of alot easier and still clean. i think @gmduramax changed it out (he owns it now) so id be curious if he went double din or just an updated flip out unit.

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
Search crutchfield, they’ll sell you a new dash bezel and everything you need. If you get a shallow head unit you won’t have to cut anything. Theres multiple places to buy everything but crutchfield has the best instructions

GMC_2002_Dmax

The Still Master
I installed a Kenwood Xcelon Double DIN in my 2002.

I bought a custom bezel for a double DIN, I did have to cut the factory bracket behind the radio, was no big deal.

It has Carplay, Anroid Auto, Blue tooth, GPS, you can stream Amazon Music, Waze runs perfect, its wireless for Carplay and Android Auto if your device/phone supports that feature.

It has two USB Ports, you can play music from a USB Stick.

Was simple to install, just get the radio, install kit and Bezel..........do not worry about cutting that little bit of the brace out of the dash.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I have never cut my bezels. This is one of my trucks with a double din and my 1500 I've had for 18yrs been thru 2 Kenwoods and a Pioneer. The ole lady stole my double din out of it for her car(or I'd have another pic) since I parked it this spring. Working at dusty construction sites and leaving the windows down and hi speed of roading killed the CD players in them.lol.
fe2f092eaf8942a8b8049795142c4ce7.jpg
c788e7bca2450e7507c760b6e11b7872.jpg

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

99-02 are different than 03-up as stated earlier in this thread. 03-up will drop in without mods. 99-02 are din and a half sized

KEVINL

Jul 4, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I am doing the swap right now there are two options one is the metra kit which is less modification

I am doing the 03-06 radio bucket and 03-06 bezel because i am also planning to swap to in 03-06 center console

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
This is the Scosche GM5602DD kit in a 99-02 dash.

Apparently the Metra DP-3002B is different and does not have the visor at the top like the Scosche GM5602DD kit

Last edited: