Donor

Mogman

May 3, 2020
Papalote, TX
OK so my rolled donor truck was delivered today, a 2008 2500HD.
The first thing I noticed is it has a Fleece Cheetah turbo charger, not sure if that is good news or not, definitely not from a little ol lady from Pasadena!
it also has an all aluminum after cooler, not sure if that is stock or not, half expected to see an aluminum/plastic hybrid like the radiator. This thing is a mess, the ECM was under one of the overturned batteries and has a decent size dent in the cover, the TCM was flopping around, the body is SOO badly damaged I may be better off cutting the body completely off before even trying to test run the engine.
So the question is,,can it be test run with the body removed as in nothing as far a wiring from the bulkhead connector on???

Attachments

• 56961679_Image_2.JPG
    56961679_Image_2.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

RickDLance

Feb 14, 2007
I can't answer your question, but I will worn you to remove all the intake parts and make sure there is no oil floating around in there.

I would also recommend pulling the glow plugs and cranking the motor over without starting it. Make damn sure there is no oil in the cylinders or any part of the intake tract.

Mogman

May 3, 2020
Papalote, TX
I got to the point that I could install a battery and see if anything had power, the dash seems to be working and as expected I am getting a slew of messages, service 4wd, service tire pressure, reduced engine power, low coolant, hood open (there is no hood) various doors open etc.
Are any of these messages coming from the ECM? I am concerned about the dent in the ECM from the accident, I was hoping to get the mileage but the errors just keep repeating.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Reduced power is probably from the ecm, but no way of knowing why until you get the codes. Not even sure its worth it if all you are after is parts

Mogman

May 3, 2020
Papalote, TX
I am after a complete engine,trans,transfer and all the other needed components for a re-power project, I have peeled away enough of the demolished truck that I am about to see if it will run.
It would be nice to be able to read the mileage.
I assume this has an OBDII port but I cannot find it, this thing is a real mess.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
be very sure to do as Rick stated! if you have oil in that intercooler or piled up elsewhere in the intake track, its going to be a run-a-way very quickly!

Mogman

May 3, 2020
Papalote, TX
be very sure to do as Rick stated! if you have oil in that intercooler or piled up elsewhere in the intake track, its going to be a run-a-way very quickly!

No oil anywhere in the intake, even pulled the elbow in the valley, will be test running it without the turbo input but with the intercooler discharge pipe with a filter on it, also a filter on the turbo intake, the engine oil level is spot on but the transmission is over full, I suspect drain back from the cooler as there was not much oil there, will be running a short loop on the cooler lines (will probably pull the plug and let some oil out to make sure there is no water in the transmission), it will be a VERY short run as the engine cooling system is dry and all the accessories are going to be removed.
As I said this thing is a mess, all the motor mounts are broken and the engine has moved forward about 2-3 inches, I will have to jack up the engine and put some blocks under it as now it is sitting on the pan, that thing really did some traveling around during the accident, the turbo discharge pipe came into contact with the hydrobooster and bent it out quite a bit, the driver side front pillar where it meets the dash has been moved towards the passenger side by about 4 inches, I am amazed I do not see any broken housings, oil pan etc, damn things must be really tough, there was no front impact in fact the fan was fine which also surprises the heck out of me as much as the engine moved around!

Of course I still have allot of inspecting to do after I get the engine supported and the transfer case tail back in the middle of the truck.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I would still pull the glow plugs and turn it over. I thought I remember a thread a while back with someone in a similar situation. Had a vehicle that rolled and when they tried to start it, the engine ran away and threw a rod or something.

You can also disconnect the intake to the engine so none of the air is going through the intercooler, turbo or pipes.

The transmission fluid level needs to be checked with the engine idling.

Mogman

May 3, 2020
Papalote, TX
No intercooler, like I said I am going to take the intercooler/engine intake pipe and stick a filter on it, the pipe is clear, the little woman and I managed to use the lift and an axle stand to get it sitting squarely back on its mounts and it looks SOO much better, the starter was actually sitting on the frame as the right side of the engine had moved forward enough to come completely off of its mount.
So what is the module mounted on the inside of the frame on the left side right next to the transfer case? has a big plug on it like the TCM and looks like it has brake lines running to it???

Mogman

May 3, 2020
Papalote, TX
OK so I finally got enough of the wreckage cleared away and did as thorough a job as possible inspecting for damage, bypassed the trans cooler, twisted the key and she fired right up! that did not last long as I discovered while the engine was on walkabout it cracked the fuel filter, picked one up this morning and after bleeding it had a short galloping episode then smoothed right out, no smoke, no funny sounds and over 60lb of oil pressure (indicated)

I am a happy camper!!!!! :woott:with no exhaust and open turbo and intake it still idles quieter than the 6.2L

Next I will pick it up on the lift and see if the trans/transfer works, the transfer case lights up momentarily (N) when the key is turned on, but no other lights come on.

Update, for some reason when I have the truck lifted and shift it into any position the wheels move for 3-4 seconds then stop, forward, reverse, 3, 2,1 all the same, seems to shift into gear well but then goes into "neutral" does not seem to be mechanical but rather something is telling the transmission to go into neutral...

Last edited:

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Some of these other cats will be much better at diagnosing but my guess is its limping for some reason or maybe an NSBU switch problem.