Info: Do not ruin your driveshaft ...

Lennart

Not from here !
Aug 10, 2006
Detmold, Germany
....like I did !
As I posted in another thread I removed the overload and the #2 leaf springs to lower my truck and get a softer ride.
Well, I figured already that I need some kind of traction bar but it took me until today to discover that I ruined my driveshaft already!
Since the leafs are too soft now, they allow the axle to rotate. In my case the axle must have rotated so much that the driveshaft interfered with the diff.
The material surrounding the U-joint on the driveshaft is significantly deformed and the u-joint bearing impossible to remove (and possibly damaged).

While you might be fine at stock power levels I have to warn everyone with serious at the wheels to remove leafs without adding a traction bar !!

Where can I get new driveshaft pieces, as I would like to get mine welded here in Germany!

SIKDMAX

Highway Burnouts!
Sep 14, 2007
Central Coast, Cali
www.sikdmax.com
So sorry to hear this Lennart!

Do you think it could have been from the altered pinion angle due to the different geometry of the rear now? Ive heard of some installing 1.5-3 degree shims to bring the pinion angle back to stock.

Lennart

Not from here !
Aug 10, 2006
Detmold, Germany
I was thinking about that, too. but since I only added 2" drop shackles the correction would have went in the same direction as the axle twists during acceleration.
Luckily I can still drive my truck, but will only be going back to serious power once I have caltracks installed.....

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
Hey, thanks for sharing, I apoligize if it was my thread you read! I didn't know this issue existed! I'm only 1 of many that have lowered there d-maxes in the same manor and i've never heard of this! I'm not pushing alot of power at this time (need to save my fuel) so I hope i haven't wrecked mine too. I usually blow the tires off anyhow but last weekend i went to the track and one pass it axle wrapped pretty bad :( I know i already need traction bars but i'd better see if i hurt it! Looks like a prime time to do'em now:eek:

Oh, i only removed the overload spring and left the spring shims in.

Lennart

Not from here !
Aug 10, 2006
Detmold, Germany
@mytmousemalibu
I read many threads about lowering and I was well aware of what can happen. I just could not believe that the axle rotates so drastically that the driveshaft can take damage. I was expecting to cause some wear on the u-joints.....:cool2:

Here is a pic of what happened (sorry for the quality, only had my phone on hand).

Attachments

• bent_driveshaft.jpg
    bent_driveshaft.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 94

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
:eek:
Let me know if you need anything Lennart, I can drop it in the Deutsch Post Aug 12.