Do I really need 4"??

Mogman

May 3, 2020
Papalote, TX
OK I am doing a LMM Humvee conversion, every one I see has a 3 1/2" (or maybe a 3"?) down pipe then 4" out in front of the rear wheel.
My engine has an improved intake, a Cheetah turbo, DSP-5 and had a 4" exhaust, and it looks like the engine has been built/rebuilt but does not have studded heads, other than that I have no farther history.

So I am thinking that I am replacing a 165HP engine and don't need the 500HP or so that this engine is likely able to deliver, and I am a mature driver and that a 3 1/2" exhaust with no muffler, four total bends and wrapped for increased flow and heat reduction would be OK.

Now don't get me wrong I might want to do a couple donuts in a parking lot or shock an unsuspecting driver occasionally.

The pic is not mine (I wish I was at this point!) but gives an idea of total length.

So is there anything wrong with my thinking? a 3 1/2 would be a little less clumsy.

EXHAUST.JPG

Last edited:

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
No. You're just "straight piping" the stock exhaust, which many people have done in the past.

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
Is 3.5” fine, yes. Would you see more power with 4” maybe. Is it worth the trouble trying to squeeze it in a swap, probably not.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
X3 I made 500hp on a stock straight pipe truck. I only went bigger when my delete pipe rusted out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RMJ_LB7

Feb 25, 2020
California
Only reason I went with a bigger exhaust system was due to sound. I have had stock 3.5", 4" & 5" exhaust all straight piped and never saw a difference. What I did notice a difference in was when I went with the 3" downpipe.