Divorced transfer.... Possible?

TonOfDalt

More is better!!!!
Aug 9, 2012
Spoke Valley, WA.
So after searching far and wide for a decent priced 4WD version ZF6 or even just the rear case secton and coming up with completely nothing I started wondering if it's possible to use my existing 2WD ZF6, divorce the 263, and couple them with a short shaft or even just 2 yokes jointed together.
Wanted to get thoughts and ideas.
Thanks!

ChargedTTq

Double D
Jun 18, 2014
MN
If you have the technical knowhow to fabricate custom x case mounts and driveshafts then yeah its possible.

I would say though that it would be easier to put a different manual trans like an nv5600 behind the duramax and adapt that to the duramax transfer case..

TonOfDalt

More is better!!!!
Aug 9, 2012
Spoke Valley, WA.
Fabing mounts would be no problem. I would actually fab something up to where the transmission and the transfer case where connected to the same mount. This way there would be no movement between the two.
As far as shafts go, has anyone heard of or have experience with a yoke to yoke, or a extremely short shaft? Mainly worried about vibrations and need to know if this would require balancing and if so is it more difficult to balance something that short than a longer shaft. I would think the shorter the shaft the better and the less you have to worry about vibrations.

Reactions: Vmyrhaug

ChargedTTq

Double D
Jun 18, 2014
MN
Well the only experience I have with divorced cases is with a Suzuki samurai. And from what I remember it had a short shaft with a slip joint.

I would assume it should be balanced you would have to talk to a driveshaft shop to find out how hard it would be to balance.

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
Maybe ask someone who has run a gear vendors? They have to split the rear shaft to install that. Plus ur front shaft will have to be longer. That's alot of shaft work. I can see you tying up alot of money in this.

Leadfoot

Needs Bigger Tires!
Dec 27, 2006
Western MA
www.matpa.org
Jesse at High Angle Driveline would be a good resource to as I know he's done some one off stuff and has probably come across a similar scenario. He would know what would be needed and how to make it work.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
you're going to have to use a manual-shift xfer case....4wd low range wont work on a push-button (263) case with a ZF6.

TonOfDalt

More is better!!!!
Aug 9, 2012
Spoke Valley, WA.
Thanks everyone for the responses. My truck is originally 2wd but I was able to pick up all the 4wd parts for $350 from a guy who was upside down in a burn vehicle he bought for his own truck. I intended to fine a 4wd zf6 but as stated before couldn't anywhere.
This is a huge project that is starting soon. Haven't done a build in a very long time so I'm pretty pumped over this. Going to be rebuilding the LB7, rebuilding the ZF, rebuilding the X case, tearing the truck down to the frame. Stretching and coating the frame, switching to a crew cab body that I am doing inside and out. Cut the firewall to be able to push the entire driveline back 2" for better weight distribution and to provide easier valve cover removal. Will definitely be posting lots of pictures once it starts.
Before anyone starts in on me about why not just buy a 4wd or buy a newer truck, I just don't want to. I bought this truck for $2000 and so far I am into it for about $3500 including the price of the truck. When this is finished the final cost of the truck will be between $20 to $23,000 and it will be exactly how I want it, practically brand new, better than the factory could build it and own it free and clear. To me that beats the hell out of paying and partially financing $30,000 for a newer duramax that gets less mileage, has to comply with emissions, nothing would be new or exactly as I want it and worst of all, missing out on the thrill/late nights of a build and being able to tell people "I built it ". Dont get me wrong, the newer trucks are great but I enjoy the build. I turn wrenches for a living and it's my passion.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Thanks for the reply, out of curiosity why won't 4L work?

Because in order for the transfer case control module to allow a shift to 4wd low range, it needs to receive a data message from both the ECM and TCM that the vehicle speed is "zero", and the transmission is in park or neutral.

Without the Allison TCM there broadcasting the proper current-gear message, the transfer case control module will inhibit a shift to 4wd low range.

And you cant wire up an Allison TCM to "fake" a neutral signal, because then cruise control wont work properly.

So if you have a ZF truck and want to swap in a push-button xfer case, you have to lose cruise control....

If you dont care about 4wd low, then go for it...

Ben

TonOfDalt

More is better!!!!
Aug 9, 2012
Spoke Valley, WA.
I see and thanks for the clarification. I believe I have avoided this issue though. Although the X case is a 261 it seems it will work just fine with a fabbed bracket to mount a control lever to. After all, it's the same X case, just machined to accept a shift motor instead of a shift lever/bracket.