Differences in ignition cylinders

JK13

Jun 10, 2020
Angwin, CA
Howdy yall, hope this is the right sub forum for this question...

So my truck had the ignition cylinder replaced sometime in the past, and I only have the key for the ignition not the doors. I dont want to be at the mercy of my keyless entry and would like a spare anyway, so i am looking to replace the door locks and ignition cylinder to a matching set.

that brings me to my question, the manual trans trucks apparently have a different cylinder than the automatic trucks, they have a little button that you have to press to completely turn the truck off whereas the automatic ones don’t have that button. Is there a difference other than that button? Would I have to get a manual transmission ignition cylinder or would an automatic one work? I’m not really sure what that button is even for, because you can still pull the key out without completely killing the battery. Any insight would be appreciated! Thanks in advance

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Why not have the Ignition Key Cylinder coded to the Door cylinder?

A lock smith can do it or you can pull the door cylinder and see what order the tumblers are in to obtain the key code on your own.
At least that way should you sell the truck a dealer or lock smith can still pull the key code from when it was manufactured and make a correct key.

If I remember, when I did my Ignition Key Cylinder, The tumbler's are numbered 0-6 I believe. I pulled them out 1 at a time to match the New cylinder to the Old one that was worn.

I know you can buy packs of tumblers if you need them to re key a cylinder. It would be easier to have a lock smith do it if you don't want the hassle.

I prefer to have it factory coded in case there is ever an issue and I need to get a key made from the code. If you don't have what ever code you made up, your screwed...

A Friend lost both keys to a vehicle and had to go down and show proof of ownership at the dealer and get a key made from the Original code. Wasn't cheap, but at least he didn't have to waste a day pulling Lock cylinders and finding a lock smith to make a a new key for it.

JK13

Jun 10, 2020
Angwin, CA
See the red, at least thats the reasoning behind my idea

Why not have the Ignition Key Cylinder coded to the Door cylinder?

The Ignition tumbler hangs up alot making me have to jimmy the key to turn it, so its gotta come out anyway to either be replaced or r&r’d with a new key

A lock smith can do it or you can pull the door cylinder and see what order the tumblers are in to obtain the key code on your own.
So at this point, I’m pulling 2 cylinders so a 3rd isn’t that much more work

At least that way should you sell the truck a dealer or lock smith can still pull the key code from when it was manufactured and make a correct key.

I get that, but with a couple spares stashed away I think I should be ok. Its an ‘01 so no chips in the key or anything, just gotta run down to the hardware store for another spare to get cut.

I’ve found matching sets of a ignition cylinder, door tumblers and 3 keys for ~$100 so not to expensive, cheaper than a locksmith around here thats for sure. Still curious to if theres any difference between the auto and manual trans ignition cylinders besides the button, if they’re interchangeable, and if anyone knows the purpose of that little button lol

matthew86

Mar 16, 2018
Eastern WA
I’m with Brick on this one. Re-keying your ignition cylinder is not hard to do and would certainly be easier than replacing the door cylinder and trying to figure out what ignition cylinder will work. The one you have now works, I take it. When I replaced the one on my 06, a buddy of mine that works for a dealer pulled the code for my key. I don’t know what it would cost for the code, but it would be cheaper than replacing the cylinders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I couldn't answer about the difference of the 2 as I have never done a manual trans ignition cylinder nor have I had both part's side by side.

Spend a few minutes and pull the tumblers out 1 at a time to get the Key code for the new set. You can have a key made from just the code. Like if your away from home and loose the key Or if it gets stolen

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Other than you posting in another thread that you have an 01, we dont know the first thing about your truck to give any advice worth giving.

Do you have a manual trans or automatic? Does your current switch have the pushbutton you mention?

From a quick search at Rockauto (which you probably couldve done....), you can get FIVE different cylinders for an 01, depending on auto, manual, thumbwheel, or button. You're looking at $100 for new lock cylinders, and then you'd still have to rekey them.
Just do as the guys said and go to a locksmith and have your current locks rekeyed. You'll be money and time ahead.

JK13

Jun 10, 2020
Angwin, CA
Ok, maybe I'm just real dense, but to have 1 key for the doors and ignition I'd still have to pull at least 1 door cylinder to get the tumbler combo, and the ignition cylinder to change the tumbler combo? Is pulling 1 more door cylinder really THAT bad? The key or tumbler is worn, so the ignition cylinder has to come out regardless because its a pain in the a** to have to fiddle around jimmying the key to fire up the truck.

I'm looking at this set
Yeah, yeah, Ebay I know, but if it works it works.

I can buy a manual trans one, thats not the issue. I'm more wondering if:
1. There is differences in the auto to manual trans ignition cylinders.
2. What the purpose of the little button on the cylinder is for.

Automatic:
auto1.jpg
Manual:

manual1.jpg

If I don't need that button and an auto one would work, I'd rather go that route do get rid of the button.

I’m with Brick on this one. Re-keying your ignition cylinder is not hard to do and would certainly be easier than replacing the door cylinder and trying to figure out what ignition cylinder will work. The one you have now works, I take it. When I replaced the one on my 06, a buddy of mine that works for a dealer pulled the code for my key. I don’t know what it would cost for the code, but it would be cheaper than replacing the cylinders.

So the dealer can pull the code off the VIN or whatever, but the they would have to be the ones to get me at least one key, and I'd still have to redo an ignition tumbler. I'm just failing to see how this is easier or cheaper, but it does give me the option for the dealer to cut me a key in the future.

Other than you posting in another thread that you have an 01, we dont know the first thing about your truck to give any advice worth giving.

Do you have a manual trans or automatic? Does your current switch have the pushbutton you mention?

From a quick search at Rockauto (which you probably couldve done....), you can get FIVE different cylinders for an 01, depending on auto, manual, thumbwheel, or button. You're looking at $100 for new lock cylinders, and then you'd still have to rekey them.
Just do as the guys said and go to a locksmith and have your current locks rekeyed. You'll be money and time ahead.

Not to be a jerk or sound snarky, but all that info is right there in my 1 line sig:
"2001 Silverado 2500HD, ECSB-LB7/ZF6-4x4, 265/75r16 Toyo M-55, Pretty much stock...for now"
Sigs pop up on my computer and phone, if it didn't show on your device then yeah, I get how that is all important info.

But yes, its a manual trans and has the button like in the pic I attached. Yes, I realize that Rockauto has EIGHT different cylinders, of different brands, options of thumbwheel or not, auto or manual trans...but if the pics mean anything, all the manual cylinders have a button whereas the autos do not, hence my question regarding the interchangeability and point of that little button.

Not trying to be difficult or a d*ck, just looking for answers.

Last edited:

matthew86

Mar 16, 2018
Eastern WA
So if I’m understanding everything correctly, this is what I meant. Your door is the key that came with the truck and if so, that key code would be the one the dealer would pull for for truck. You don’t have that key. The dealer should be able to cut you a key that will work with your door and give you the key code for less than you can replace one or both entire cylinders. For me, I find the ignition cylinder easier to access and rekey than the door. So you can get the code from the dealer to figure out which pins to install in the ignition cylinder and then your door keys work everything again. Personally I find that easier than removing a door cylinder and disassembling it to try to decode it to rekey the ignition. And if you want the easiest and cheapest way, you could just get GM to cut you a door key and carry both like the older vehicles had. Hopefully I’m conveying what I’m trying to say here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JK13

Jun 10, 2020
Angwin, CA
So if I’m understanding everything correctly, this is what I meant. Your door is the key that came with the truck and if so, that key code would be the one the dealer would pull for for truck. You don’t have that key. The dealer should be able to cut you a key that will work with your door and give you the key code for less than you can replace one or both entire cylinders.

I’ll give the local dealer a call and see what that would run me.

For me, I find the ignition cylinder easier to access and rekey than the door. So you can get the code from the dealer to figure out which pins to install in the ignition cylinder and then your door keys work everything again. Personally I find that easier than removing a door cylinder and disassembling it to try to decode it to rekey the ignition.

If getting the door cylinders out is that big of a pain, then this is sounding like my best bet. Originally I was thinking that I would still have to pull at least one door lock to get the combo but if a key wont cost too much from a dealer then I’ll go that route. Thank You!