LBZ: Died while driving, now no start

Live2Pull

Jun 9, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
www.facebook.com
Hello All,

First post on the forum and I must say this site already has a wealth of information to sort through.

Yesterday while my brother was driving, so no information on whether it was running rough or not. There is fuel, but when I prime the filter it never gets hard. I am thinking the culprit is air/fuel lines and filter housing. Hopefully its not the CP3, but if it is got to do it. I got no pressure from the in to the filter housing.

Are there any other diagnostics I should be doing, the housings fittings do not look rusty. All fuses look good, I reset the VATS. The fuel lines and lastly the CP3 are the last culprits.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again!

jc1843

Sep 27, 2009
So Calf
I got no pressure from the in to the filter housing.

I like to start with the simple things-- Add 5 gallons of fuel-- gauge can be off, or the "Draw-straw" in the tank can be cracked.

Did you pump the primer button on the filter housing-? Open the bleeder screw-? any fuel come out when pumping the primer button-?

There will not be any pressure at the filter "IN", -- unless you have added a lift pump. The CP3 pulls the fuel from the tank.

Live2Pull

Jun 9, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
www.facebook.com
I got no pressure from the in to the filter housing.

I like to start with the simple things-- Add 5 gallons of fuel-- gauge can be off, or the "Draw-straw" in the tank can be cracked.

Did you pump the primer button on the filter housing-? Open the bleeder screw-? any fuel come out when pumping the primer button-?

There will not be any pressure at the filter "IN", -- unless you have added a lift pump. The CP3 pulls the fuel from the tank.

My brother added fuel when it died originally, fuel did come out the bleeder screw.

Dirtymaxx03 - I will rebuild the filter housing, and see the results.

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
My brother added fuel when it died originally, fuel did come out the bleeder screw.

Dirtymaxx03 - I will rebuild the filter housing, and see the results.

If it died right after putting fuel in. Any chance he put gas or he could of gotten bad fuel.

Live2Pull

Jun 9, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
www.facebook.com
If it died right after putting fuel in. Any chance he put gas or he could of gotten bad fuel.

It did not die after putting fuel in, he was driving and it died. He knows better than to put gasoline in it, he did say that he put 5 gallons in after it died and primed for a while, he said it got firm then immediately soft.

Just ordered the rebuild kit for the filter housing, and going to replace the soft fuel lines from the tank forward, while the tank is down going to make sure that it's not letting air in at the fuel pickup.

Will post results after it happens, it is going to be a long night when it happens.:thumb:

Live2Pull

Jun 9, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
www.facebook.com
Ok, time for an update. rebuilt the filter housing and got it running after putting fuel in it. Then it died on me again. Read the codes, P1631 Theft Deterrent Sys-Password Incorrect, reset the VATS system, still no start. It tends to happen when the truck is low on fuel, I put five gallons in primed still no start. I am going to be replacing the fuel level sender with the draw straw tomorrow, I inspected it and it looked OK, but I don't want to be worrying about it 6 months from now. Replaced the soft lines from the FICM to the filter housing, and from the filter housing to the CP3. Is there any way to check rail pressure? Or is there anything else I need to be looking at to try to get it running.:confused::confused:

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Have you connected a V2 and logged as you tried to start? Make sure it is seeing pressure as you attempt to start it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
Sounds like the injectors are relieving and sending fuel back to the tank.Need to hook up a v2 and see what kind of presure the cp3 is building and do a bottle test and see how much they are sending back to the tank.

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
Not unless there's a guy in Phoenix will to come over and check it for you or some one with a Tech 2 I'm not sure if the edge cs or cts will give you rail pressure or not

Live2Pull

Jun 9, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
www.facebook.com
OK, the VATS code is coming back still. I tried resetting it again and it will not go away. just to make sure I am doing this correctly

Crank the engine, bring it back to run.

-wait ten minutes

Turn to off, turn back to run

-wait ten min

Do that three times?

I replaced the fuel level sender the primer get nice and hard, i am going to try and pressurize the tank and inspect for leaks.

How can I do a bottle test is the truck won't start?

Lastly, is there anyone in Phoenix willing to come over and read it with their V2 for me?

Thanks.

Live2Pull

Jun 9, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
www.facebook.com
Update time. The truck lives:woott:. The VATS code was being caused by the poor stereo installation that I did. There were wire sheathing that was sliced leaving exposed wires causing a short, enabling the VATS. Fixed that and my filter housing and Viola the truck started. Thanks for all the help.