Deleting power brakes

DPC

Jan 2, 2012
Adams, TN
Has anyone deleted their power brakes and gone to a complete manual system for a drag truck? I would like to eliminate the the hydro-boost and all the ABS stuff. I have seen a few pullers do it but I don't think stopping power is as much of a concern. Again this is for a drag only truck, no DD. I see Wilwood makes several types of mastercylinders that should work. Thanks.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Is this for weight savings? I can see wanting to delete the power steering pump and all that leaky crap, but removing the ABS module sounds like a lot of work for 2lbs weight savings.

I have not heard of anyone doing it, but I see no reason it couldn't be done.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I deleted the ABS pump on the van but not the hydroboost. I've been wanting to get a manual steering box and swap to a different master cylinder so I can ditch the PS pump, but I haven't had the time to really search out what parts I need to accomplish it.

DPC

Jan 2, 2012
Adams, TN
Is this for weight savings? I can see wanting to delete the power steering pump and all that leaky crap, but removing the ABS module sounds like a lot of work for 2lbs weight savings.

I have not heard of anyone doing it, but I see no reason it couldn't be done.

The truck is stripped down already, no interior at all net even a dash. It will have a stand alone wiring harness so the fuse box and all the dash wiring is gone. It will also have a duraflite so not TCM or wiring. Eliminating the hydro-boost, power steering and ABS will really open up the drivers side engine bay and a few less things to worry about.

baggedLB7

Goer
May 1, 2011
Utah
Dont know how some of the new systems are now a days but I have driven old cars and trucks without a booster and its not fun.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Dont know how some of the new systems are now a days but I have driven old cars and trucks without a booster and its not fun.
X2. I have driven a few and couldn't imagine trying to rein in 1000+ horsepower without some type of assist. What if you ditched the hydraulics and went with some type of vacuum assist with a small vacuum pump and plastic reservoir? That should save some weight

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

X2. I have driven a few and couldn't imagine trying to rein in 1000+ horsepower without some type of assist. What if you ditched the hydraulics and went with some type of vacuum assist with a small vacuum pump and plastic reservoir? That should save some weight

its all dependent on the correct sized MC, calipers, rotor size, and proportioning valve. you can make a car stop damn fast without assist and not need a "popeye leg" to do it. Look at desert trucks/cars. those are 5-6k lbs vehicles that damn near stop on a dime with 40" tires.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
its all dependent on the correct sized MC, calipers, rotor size, and proportioning valve. you can make a car stop damn fast without assist and not need a "popeye leg" to do it. Look at desert trucks/cars. those are 5-6k lbs vehicles that damn near stop on a dime with 40" tires.
I didn't realize those were non assist brakes. I guess with enough experimentation and research it's possible

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I didn't realize those were non assist brakes. I guess with enough experimentation and research it's possible

It's all math. It's not hard to figure out once you know the properties of brakes. Our only issue is the only variable that can easily be changed is the master cyl. If one can be found to push the correct amount of fluid, it will work well but that's gunna take some time to figure

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I know the conversion can be done just not sure what size master cylinder to use. Keep in mind the smaller the bore the more clamping force you have at the caliper. Here is some info on the subject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3TU-GRoO2k

http://www.airheart-brakes.com/pdfs/MasterCylinder_Selection.pdf

This is what the one I was thinking of using.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wil-260-9439-bk

Yes but the pedal throw will become longer, the smaller you go so keep that in mind. I have not done enough with brakes to give you all the info you need. I've just played with it on my sand car, had a class on it long ago and done a little reading. I know enough to be dangerous ;) lol

DPC

Jan 2, 2012
Adams, TN
I am all ears. I want to keep the stock calipers and break pedal if possible. I will get any measurements you need, thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk