Decisions, 2006 LBZ, P0872, when cold or sitting a long while on winter hiatus

XLT GUY

Jun 14, 2020
Ok all, I now know I have a Sticking E Valve SS3, I have owned 3 of these gems, but the problem child is of course the nicest one, 2006 GMC Lifted K2500 HD crew.

OK, knowing this, the Allison Heavy Duty shop knows all about the SS3 sticking issue, and told me I have a 50-50% shot at getting the spool cleaned up, and not sticking anymore if I have a good trans guy do it, without the Sonnax Bore tool! that will destroy it he says.

So the dilemma, either go True Allison Reman with all new electronics and spools and internal wiring harness, for $786 out the door, 2 year GM warranty, or go $500 all in, for a Sonnax Lifetime warranted one with parts replaced as needed. The nice thing about the Allison reman is if the valve body core is junk, they will put out a new valve body that has never been run, thoughts everyone?

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
If there is any debris from wear in the Allison; every valve body you install will stick the E shift valve untill you fix the problem internaly and totaly flush the system.

XLT GUY

Jun 14, 2020
If there is any debris from wear in the Allison; every valve body you install will stick the E shift valve until you fix the problem internally and totally flush the system.
Hi Mike, so before jumping into a replacement, get the existing valve body out, and torn down and inspect for Debris? If there is no Debris to be found, then? It was explained to me, clutch Debris would not collect in the internal, but in the spin on the way the fluid circulates. thoughts?

XLT GUY

Jun 14, 2020
I'm not getting into any discussion on who you should believe.
That was not my intention. There is just too much out there about SS3 Spool (bore) wear, It will need to be investigated as to the wear condition in the spool, if there is no apparent wear and it moves freely I totally see debris hanging it up. Thank you Sir.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Debris may or may not be visible to the naked eye, debris may or may not have accumulated in various plumbing, ports, cooler, etc. Said debris may or may not come free and lodge in new locations

All the worthy shops will flush the system with a hot flush machine including Mike L to reduce or eliminate the chance of rogue debris messing with your new spool, bore or whatever

XLT GUY

Jun 14, 2020
Debris may or may not be visible to the naked eye, debris may or may not have accumulated in various plumbing, ports, cooler, etc. Said debris may or may not come free and lodge in new locations

All the worthy shops will flush the system with a hot flush machine including Mike L to reduce or eliminate the chance of rogue debris messing with your new spool, bore or whatever
This is totally Valid, thank YOU! as well.

XLT GUY

Jun 14, 2020
Got the Answer all, it is thd PSI Manifold Switch, did the Allison procedure with the harness disconnected, failed the test, the new and improved Blue Allison switch will keep her shifting perfectly for years to come! thanks to all that chimed in!

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
It is abnormal to have 3 switches installed for the same problem. was the screen dirty on the E pressure switch?