Danville Modded LBZ CP3

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Just curious as to what mods do you make to these to make them different/better?
What are they rated for as far as flow % over stock if anything?

pizza pig

I Like to Party
Feb 13, 2012
CT
These still retain the factory stroke of the pump so their output is the same. The stock pump sees restriction once you hit the 3,000 rpm mark typically. These pumps are just modified to get the max output of the pump above 3,00 rpm so there is no dropoff when you get into the higher rpm range. They're good for 600-650 or so depending on supporting modifications to get you there.

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
These still retain the factory stroke of the pump so their output is the same. The stock pump sees restriction once you hit the 3,000 rpm mark typically. These pumps are just modified to get the max output of the pump above 3,00 rpm so there is no dropoff when you get into the higher rpm range. They're good for 600-650 or so depending on supporting modifications to get you there.

Exactly what he said, the work done to them makes them more efficient and good for 650-700hp depending on turbos and injectors. They are equivalent to the Exergy Sportsman pumps. I've been doing them since 2007 iirc with great success. Makes them a great deal for the price! If more fuel is needed then the Exergy 10mm is the next choice and good for 700-800hp range. 12mm Exergy cp3 is good for well over 1000++Hp.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Ok. Good to know.
I bought a used one that supposedly was on a puller for about 25 hooks then buddy went bigger.
Should I get it tested before putting it on and if so where would you recommend I send it?
It's been sitting for a year.

Slowmax

Build what others' won't
Aug 3, 2013
United States
Ok. Good to know.
I bought a used one that supposedly was on a puller for about 25 hooks then buddy went bigger.
Should I get it tested before putting it on and if so where would you recommend I send it?
It's been sitting for a year.
Exergy.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
So is twinning a 12mm with a stock LBZ not a good idea on the Nova with the 3k rpm issue? That's what we are running now with 250% exergys.

Ideally when using pumps in parallel for any application you want both pumps to have the same bore and stroke so they give an evenly balanced delivery. I think you might be fighting the stock LBZ pump with the 12mm and possibly causing harmonics and flow issues. 3 plungers doesn't give as smooth a delivery as say 5.

That said, timing the pumps to alternate the pump strokes so essentially you would have a 6 piston pump might help things but this doesn't work unless they are both gear driven and running the same size gears and off the same drive. Not sure if anyone has looked into this at all but I know in HP applications in my industry quint pumps at HP are a lot smoother than triplex ones.

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
Damn looks like I get to buy another 12mm, that sucks. Both are gear driven, the 12mm is a reverse rotation in the water pump location. Noticed in the log we were having a rail issue, and thought it was odd with all that fuel and not going over 4k rpm yet. Was more worried about other boost/tuning related issues first, and figured I'd look into fuel later.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
It would be nice if the gears on the pumps had a TDC #1 mark on them so you could time them to each other so the TDC of each stroke from each pump alternates each other. That is if they both turn at the same rpm.
I honestly think this would make the fuel system much happier. 6 small evenly spaced pump pulses are better than 3 big ones!!