cummins in a ranger

sparepartsracing

spareparts offroad&fab
Mar 17, 2010
hey guys just wondering on some info on swapping my 12v into my ranger and what reinforcements would need to be made to handle the weight..also thinking of either mating it to a chevy 4 speed and 205/203 doubler or even possibly and allison 5 speed...ive been on destroked.com and sent some emails but cant find andy build threads just videos on youtube of them with 4bt's....any info is greatly appreciated

heres some pics of the truck

226506_10150598262890319_757770318_18776208_264599_n.jpg

222351_10150599113390319_757770318_18789535_6475267_n.jpg

sparepartsracing

spareparts offroad&fab
Mar 17, 2010
i plan on running the radiator in the bed with fans and just running the intercooler in the front if it fits

Noreaster

Jun 13, 2007
Cape Cod,MA
theres a guy (I think his name is Wayne?) that had a 4bt in a ranger & swapped a 6 in but had to lengthen the frame. it was in diesel power not too long ago

sparepartsracing

spareparts offroad&fab
Mar 17, 2010
yeah i saw that, truck is real clean it didnt look like it was stretched..ill cut the firewall worse comes to worse just seeing some people opinions on tranny options mainly...i just contacted destroked to order some adapter plates and some other things

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
yeah i saw that, truck is real clean it didnt look like it was stretched..ill cut the firewall worse comes to worse just seeing some people opinions on tranny options mainly...i just contacted destroked to order some adapter plates and some other things

why dont you run a nv4500? granny first with your 203/205 would make for a nice low crawl gear

sparepartsracing

spareparts offroad&fab
Mar 17, 2010
does the same as a sm456 and doubler setup and i have everything already...i have the tranny,motor,t-case, complete dodge 2500 doner truck

dirty-b

KCCO!
Jun 5, 2010
Central MN
With the extra wieght of the 6 vs 4 and your most likely not going to race it, why not just put a 4 in it?

Yep ^^^^ I just think with less wieght you will have less chance of breaking the rest of the truck when wheeling.:thumb: What do you plan on doing with the truck? Mud runner,Trail rider, rock crawler,or tar baby?

sparepartsracing

spareparts offroad&fab
Mar 17, 2010
anything i can throw at the truck ha ha...it will be fully exo caged tied into the frame as many points as i can and reinforce the frame with a flatbed in the rear(need more weight in the rear)

72burban

Aug 22, 2011
im just throwing this out there but mateing the transfers to the allison isnt easy and will require custom made parts and i dont know it u have taken it in to account but ur talking about a super long power train aka from the fly wheel to the output of the 205 so ur going to have a short drive shaft with less travel in such a short truck and i had a buddy try to pack a 383 and 4l80e with the 203/205 in to a jeep well he took her off roading and first time he bottomed out pushed the rear end up drive shaft forward which then pushed those cast iron transfers in the that weak aluminum transmisson long story short i still have some 4l80e bits and peace in the river bottom behind my house:roflmao:

sparepartsracing

spareparts offroad&fab
Mar 17, 2010
yeah this is my first mid size usually dont have to worry about frames or any motor combo period lol...this one is going to be interesting...well see what we can destroy in the process ha ha

BombDocDiesel

Army Bomb Squad
May 20, 2009
Belcamp, MD
Getting the Allison to work at all may be a problem. If you get screwed by Destroked like I did, just plan on getting the run around for a year. Go with a manual and save yourself the hassle of even dealing with Scott.

You will be cutting into the firewall or going non-intercooled unless you stretch it. Even in a fullsize Chevy there isn't enough room for a 6BT or ISB. There will be lots of cutting of fenderwells and a few other pieces as well. Is this a dedicated trail rig?

sparepartsracing

spareparts offroad&fab
Mar 17, 2010
i just need a adapter plate and flywheel and maybe some other stupid odds and ends they made a adapter plate for me previous from nissan to chevy very quick from what i thought...well see what happens i like hearing it cant happen...well after this stupid storm irene passes im going to start pullin the donor truck apart and laying her in their and cutting the fit. prob just going to gut the radiator support and worry about that stuff later....ive done these swaps before and i think well be okay

sparepartsracing

spareparts offroad&fab
Mar 17, 2010
ill do my best ive never had a build thread on anything i built due to the lack of time and the fact i never think of picking up a camera i will do my best tho...thanks for the interet i hope to get into a magazine with this one

**update**
truck is going to be dropped off this week to have the chassi boxed front to rear and some stiffners welded in and hopefully the new crossmember and motor mounts mocked in their took some measurements today of the motor and its going to fit like a glove