Cranks

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadMaxx61

Devilmaxx
Oct 13, 2008
Windsor, Ont, Canada
I think what they want to know. Is say the case was no big deal. If you got that board would it work on a LLY/LBZ/LMM ECM. If you even got it to fit would the software part work?

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I think what they want to know. Is say the case was no big deal. If you got that board would it work on a LLY/LBZ/LMM ECM. If you even got it to fit would the software part work?
At its core, the RoadRunner is just an emulator for a NOR FLASH memory chip. It can emulate one up to 1MB, depending on the version you get.

The issue is then: does the LLY ECU use the same NOR FLASH chip or interface?

LBZ and newer have some FLASH internal to the CPU, IIRC, so there is nothing you can do about that.

The best solution is pure software: a custom OS that takes realtime updates over OBD. HPTuners does this on a couple ECUs. Most aftermarket ECUs do this stock.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Poor Jon is gonna hafta do some cleanup in this thread with this little side chatter about the roadrunner.

I'd much rather see the focus stay on fixing these freaking cranks in this thread. :thumb:

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Poor Jon is gonna hafta do some cleanup in this thread with this little side chatter about the roadrunner.

I'd much rather see the focus stay on fixing these freaking cranks in this thread. :thumb:
Agreed. Maybe he can split the RoadRunner posts off to a new thread, since some of the info on the RR is still useful, just off-topic.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Nah, it sparked new life to the thread, and gave new direction to the task at hand. It's all useful info to this project.

Dave c

Jul 7, 2013
The LMM OS has some funky rationality checks and in it. For instance, if it senses more than 4 degrees difference in the orientation of the crank at TDC and the cam position sensor trigger, it will prevent the engine from starting.

As far as the Dmax firing order goes, it is basically the classic 4-7 swap of a small or big block chevy. It seems different because the cylinders are numbered differently between classic V-8 Chevy and Dmax.

The 4-7 swap was originally done to help with cylinder filling. With 18436572, cyls 5 and 7 right next to each other, cyl 7 didn't fill as well in normally aspirated open plenum style intake manifolds.

The firing order I use (and what Jon has concluded) is the current Chevy LS engine firing order. :D

When we first started this in early 2010, I asked EFILive about it and was told that the firing order was hard coded into the OS. No table existed that would allow us to change the order. :(

The Bosch racing software will allow you to enter any order you like. :thumb: You can also change the orientation of the crank reluctor wheel relative to TDC in the software. I had a customer install his reluctor wheel 90 degrees off and we just rewrote the parameter in the Bosch software. :woott:

Current LS fire order is 1-8-7-2-6-5-4-3

The fire order John concluded woulde be best is 1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8

While both will work, which one are you useing on your cams?

Status
Not open for further replies.