cranking with the key on

danzick

playing with fire
Feb 20, 2014
Livingston, MT
alright guys. heres a weird one for you. I'm finally ready to fire this thing up after its been sitting all this time. As soon as I turn the key on, it starts turning over? what the heck would be causing that?

danzick

playing with fire
Feb 20, 2014
Livingston, MT
I have discovered a few more weird things. My DIC is not working, and my edge CS will not communicate with the truck? and it actually doesn't try to turn over in run, its with the first click forward only. The starter wire does not have power in run position.

danzick

playing with fire
Feb 20, 2014
Livingston, MT
with the ignition switch on, my radio comes on, the CS screen lights up, and my Fass pump runs. When I have someone turn the key to the start position, there is no power to the solenoid wire. The other thing that's weird I have noticed, is the only thing that works on the cluster is the back lights, and the flasher lights are dimly lit up for some reason.

Ron Nielson

Oct 11, 2009
Berryton, KS
Post #1 sounds like a stuck relay. Pull your starter relay and swap it with another same number. This is to tell you if the relay is good.

Get the wiring diagram here
https://www.gmupfitter.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/2006_LD_CKFullSizeElectrical.pdf

Exactly what the problem is willl only be known when you figure it out. And it can be LOTS of things, unfortunately. Pick one of the problems (get the truck to start like it used to for example) and solve that one problem, which often will fix others also.

danzick

playing with fire
Feb 20, 2014
Livingston, MT
I don't think it's a relay. So I found I forgot the ground wire for the body. I did a makeshift one, and now my cluster works, but the starting issue isn't fixed, the dic says unknown driver. My windows will only roll up in acc which is the first position forward. When I go to the start position, everything shuts off like it should. Which makes me think there is nothing wrong with the ignition. I'm concerned about the "unknown driver" and the fact my CS will not connect. Starting to worry I messed the ecm or tcm up some how.

danzick

playing with fire
Feb 20, 2014
Livingston, MT
well just to update this, I'm 90% sure I bricked the ECM again. I locked and unlocked my truck with the remote, and now it does at least say drive 1, but my autocal or edge wont communicate, and when I leave the key on for about 10 seconds, the dreaded paddle lock shows up. I had Kory disable the VATS the last time this happened but I guess that doesn't guarantee it wont happen again.

danzick

playing with fire
Feb 20, 2014
Livingston, MT
Yes. It sat overnight with them unhooked. I'm going to try and hook my autocal and labtop to it tonight and see what will communicate.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I had a similar problem with my '04 LB7. I was trying to find a problem and switched an ECM that I found. As soon as I turned the key on it started cranking. I tried it again and it started normaly but the dash did funny things. I shut it off and tried again and it started cranking with the ign on. I shit canned the ECM.

danzick

playing with fire
Feb 20, 2014
Livingston, MT
I had a similar problem with my '04 LB7. I was trying to find a problem and switched an ECM that I found. As soon as I turned the key on it started cranking. I tried it again and it started normaly but the dash did funny things. I shut it off and tried again and it started cranking with the ign on. I shit canned the ECM.
Yeah... I'm pretty sure that's my problem. My autocal hooked up to the lab top doesn't register any sort of modules. I've got a used ECM on the way. i'll see what that does for me. hopefully I can at least find it in efi.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I just used a 12 volt power adapter and some wires from a old computer power supply to get some small pins to push onto the obd connector pins. if you can find yourself a working computer power supply you have everything you need to do it. it wouldn't be pretty but would get the job done.

Reactions: dndj

danzick

playing with fire
Feb 20, 2014
Livingston, MT
well guys, im lost now. I built a bench harness with the help of 2004lb7 and my E54 shows up and I can read it on the bench.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
so you can read it so the ECM is ok. I'd say time to look at the data lines and termination resistors. maybe use a meter and measure the resistance of the lines