Crank pin and reluctor wheel question

08lmm72mm

May 13, 2019
Saskatchewan, Canada
Hey guys, I've been fighting a rough idle for awhile now and we took my HB off the front the motor and noticed the dowel pin in the crank was slightly bent. Changed it out with a new dowel pin and put the origional harmonic balancer back on it has quite a bit of play from where the origional dowel pin was bent and put a little nick in the key way on the HB.

So a new harmonic balancer will go on but one thing I did was check the crank reluctor wheel with the crank sensor removed before we took anything else off and there was no play. With the harmonic balancer off the truck you can move the reluctor wheel about 2mm I'd say on the crank. It doesnt move like its loose side to side like loose bolts but more like another dowel pin under the timing cover is bent.

My question is should the reluctor wheel move slightly 1-2mm clockwise/counter on the crank with the HB off or should it not move at all? I'd hate to pull the timing cover if that bit of play is normal with no balancer bolted down.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
I bet you'll find that dowel is dinged up too. I just had one through my shop that had worsening misfire till it wouldn't even run, tore it down and that was one of the things I found. Smashed up dowel for the reluctor hub. The one for the balancer was fine though. That much play will indeed throw off the timing a few degrees.