LMM: crank girdle when to use.

CRAWLEN

Sep 29, 2017
Hi guys, in the final stages of build my lmm with all the good bits. And been thinking about a crank girdle. At what power level should one be used ? I don't plan on going past 800hp. (Maybe we will see if I twin turbo this this)

If i was to put a crank girdle on would i have to go back and re line hone the caps ? As that's already been done.

I also feel like I should of put billet main caps in but ehh a bit late now. From what I have read standards are fine for 800hp is that correct?

Last edited:

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
If you want to add a girdle on stock main caps you have to machine the caps for clearance. If you have billet main caps already you can put a girdle in but it is best to do it at the time the block is at the machine shop because everything you bolt onto the block can change the bores/alignment, especially something to stiffen the main caps/bottom of the block.

FROGMAN524

Jul 17, 2010
Do girdles help that much? Doesn’t an LML block have more webbing and support than previous blocks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
at 800hp, it wont hurt but you wont see the true benefit. as said, your probably running stock main caps so it would all need to go back to machined. You "shouldnt" need a line hone again if the shop is good but its never a bad idea. you just have to be real careful not to open those mains up too much.

CRAWLEN

Sep 29, 2017
at 800hp, it wont hurt but you wont see the true benefit. as said, your probably running stock main caps so it would all need to go back to machined. You "shouldnt" need a line hone again if the shop is good but its never a bad idea. you just have to be real careful not to open those mains up too much.

Cheers for that mate, yeah it's only just crossed my mind I should of put a girdle on. But couldn't find any real info at what stage power to run one.

But going off what you have said there should be fine with out one hey ?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Cheers for that mate, yeah it's only just crossed my mind I should of put a girdle on. But couldn't find any real info at what stage power to run one.

But going off what you have said there should be fine with out one hey ?

opinions will vary but in what ive seen at that power level, as long as you are not trying to spin the thing to the moon, i wouldnt worry about it.