CP4 pump warranty wuestion

shenysz71

Apr 17, 2019
I have 2 questions:

1st. I have a 2016 chevy 2500 that is all stock nothing removed. I use as a daily driver and pulling my fifth wheel camper. It just turned 30,000 miles. My powertrain warranty expires on 9-22-2021 would you do a CP4 to Cp3 change while it is still under warranty?just as a preventative measure. And would it void my factory warranty if I did the change over?
2nd question:
I thought I read somewhere that some trucks have a updated Cp4.2 pump that was a upgrade. Is this true and if so how do you know if you have the upgrade.
Thank you for the help.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

FC5452

Mar 17, 2013
Eastern PA
As far a question #2 there is no such thing s an upgraded pump in the 2011-16 series trucks. The cp4.2 is what these trucks have always had. The .2 is the reference of a 2 piston pump. Folks have been calling the pumps a cp4, which by trade it is, but is used as slang for the cp4.2. A Cp4 is a single piston pump which is used in the Volkswagen diesels.

As far as the first question, if your worried about warranty, leave it be, or just swap to the cp3 and travel on. Certain dealers don’t care about t others will flag you. But conversion will not void a warranty say if the radiator springs a leak, one would be hard pressed to prove the cp3 caused the leak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

KyleC4

Tech
Dec 30, 2016
Bay Area
Most dealers I know would not warranty any fuel injection related concern you’d have if you did do the CP4 to CP3 conversion. But also know this, your injection pump also falls under your diesel emissions coverage warranty. And I believe that covers certain components (ex;cp4) for a period of 8yr and 80k or 100k I can’t recall. Just call your local dealer and have them run the IVH through global connect and they can tell you all your remaining coverages and expirations.

I wouldn’t do anything that would risk voiding your warranty until the warranty period is up. Just in case something does happen. My friend has a 2015 LML with almost 100k on it and still original pump if that makes you feel any more at ease.

shenysz71

Apr 17, 2019
Most dealers I know would not warranty any fuel injection related concern you’d have if you did do the CP4 to CP3 conversion. But also know this, your injection pump also falls under your diesel emissions coverage warranty. And I believe that covers certain components (ex;cp4) for a period of 8yr and 80k or 100k I can’t recall. Just call your local dealer and have them run the IVH through global connect and they can tell you all your remaining coverages and expirations.

I wouldn’t do anything that would risk voiding your warranty until the warranty period is up. Just in case something does happen. My friend has a 2015 LML with almost 100k on it and still original pump if that makes you feel any more at ease.
Thanks for the info I appreciate it.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Wander if they would allow the exergy fuel system saver and still honor the warranty?

Unless you got very lucky no way. Dealer are testing the fuel to see if they can blame the failure on that. No way they will cover it after you monkey around with the fuel system.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
If you’re still under warranty, and said warranty will pay for a cp4 if it were to fail, you’d somewhat be a fool in my opinion to swap it and possibly void your warranty for the rest of the truck. You’re only a year and a half away. At that point do whatever you’d like. But no reason to fix something that isn’t broke especially if it’ll be replaced for free if it does break.

matthew86

Mar 16, 2018
Eastern WA
If you’re still under warranty, and said warranty will pay for a cp4 if it were to fail, you’d somewhat be a fool in my opinion to swap it and possibly void your warranty for the rest of the truck. You’re only a year and a half away. At that point do whatever you’d like. But no reason to fix something that isn’t broke especially if it’ll be replaced for free if it does break.

While slightly hypocritical on my part, I have to agree with this logic in your situation. Since you didn’t mention looking for power upgrades, I’d leave it alone. I have a stock 16 as well with 62k on it and it gets used in a similar manner to yours. It’s the only truck I don’t mess with and aside from a suspicious incident where a discerning mouse ate the same wire on the fuel temp sensor twice within a week (cough cough bullsh*t) and a subsequent bellows failure on the egr bypass, it’s been reliable. A buddy of mine has 250k on his LML with no issues. I know there’s been plenty of issues on lower mileage trucks as well and this is a legitimate failure point concern compared to cp3s, but it doesn’t seem to me like it’s a majority of the trucks deal like LB7 injectors or the entire 6.0 psd. Maybe guys on here that are mechanics can correct me if I’m wrong in my assessment. If I were you, I’d ride out the warranty and swap it later. Once I get mike to build me a trans for my 06, I’ll be doing a cp3 conversion on my LML as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shenysz71

Apr 17, 2019
While slightly hypocritical on my part, I have to agree with this logic in your situation. Since you didn’t mention looking for power upgrades, I’d leave it alone. I have a stock 16 as well with 62k on it and it gets used in a similar manner to yours. It’s the only truck I don’t mess with and aside from a suspicious incident where a discerning mouse ate the same wire on the fuel temp sensor twice within a week (cough cough bullsh*t) and a subsequent bellows failure on the egr bypass, it’s been reliable. A buddy of mine has 250k on his LML with no issues. I know there’s been plenty of issues on lower mileage trucks as well and this is a legitimate failure point concern compared to cp3s, but it doesn’t seem to me like it’s a majority of the trucks deal like LB7 injectors or the entire 6.0 psd. Maybe guys on here that are mechanics can correct me if I’m wrong in my assessment. If I were you, I’d ride out the warranty and swap it later. Once I get mike to build me a trans for my 06, I’ll be doing a cp3 conversion on my LML as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think I will let well enough alone till the warranty is up. Thanks for all the info!!