Coolant leak after adding aux cooler

JAG91761

Mar 12, 2018
Ontario, California
I recently installed auxiliary oil cooler on my LLY. Drove it with out towing and everything worked out good. No leaks. Was towing yesterday pulled over to rest and this morning pille of coolant on the floor looks like it’s coming from oil coolers. Truck is not overheating while I tow. Not leaking while I tow. Question is how bad do I need to fix? I assume its a gasket or o ring. I am out here Tooele Utah and I live in California. If I don’t fix can I make it back yo California?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I recently installed auxiliary oil cooler on my LLY. Drove it with out towing and everything worked out good. No leaks. Was towing yesterday pulled over to rest and this morning pille of coolant on the floor looks like it’s coming from oil coolers. Truck is not overheating while I tow. Not leaking while I tow. Question is how bad do I need to fix? I assume its a gasket or o ring. I am out here Tooele Utah and I live in California. If I don’t fix can I make it back yo California?

You need to better explain where the coolant is and what you mean by “floor”. Adding an external cooler should have nothing do with the coolant as you didn’t hook anything up to them.

We can’t answer if you will make it back or not becuase what you are stating is very unclear

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
That's really going to be a judgement call. If you think the leak is bad enough that you won't be able to keep coolant in it, don't drive it, but if it doesn't look that serious, give it a shot and keep an eye on coolant level and temps. If the low coolant light comes on, stop and fill it up, or if it starts getting hot, pull over and let it cool off then top off before you take off again.

Reactions: ShopSpecialties

JAG91761

Mar 12, 2018
Ontario, California
That's really going to be a judgement call. If you think the leak is bad enough that you won't be able to keep coolant in it, don't drive it, but if it doesn't look that serious, give it a shot and keep an eye on coolant level and temps. If the low coolant light comes on, stop and fill it up, or if it starts getting hot, pull over and let it cool off then top off before you take off again.
Thanks called shops and everyone is book for the next 2 weeks

moparkxracer

Jun 25, 2010
Out and about
My apologies. It looks like i have coolant leaking out of the stock oil cooler. Right we’re the oil filter is.

Look higher in the system, mine was dripping coolant off the oil filter area, but was leaking from the rubber coolant line going to the turbo. Then running down the intake clam shell to the back of the engine then down to the oil filter area.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Look higher in the system, mine was dripping coolant off the oil filter area, but was leaking from the rubber coolant line going to the turbo. Then running down the intake clam shell to the back of the engine then down to the oil filter area.
That's a good point! I've seen that little coolant hose that goes from the upper radiator hose to the turbo leak a bunch of times, and it tends to run around and drip off that side of the motor.

Reactions: Bdsankey

moparkxracer

Jun 25, 2010
Out and about
Pressurize the system with a cooling system tool to 12-13 psi. You can get them cheap from local auto parts store or harbor freight. The flan will blow fluids around to make you think they are coming from somewhere they aren’t. Mine was dripping from there and come to find out it was the turbo coolant hose.

Reactions: MarkBroviak